Wanting to start targetting salmon on Halcos!!!! Please help

Aussie Salmon, Bay Trout, all info for Australian Salmon
passport1980

Wanting to start targetting salmon on Halcos!!!! Please help

Post by passport1980 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:40 pm

Hey folks. I know this has been asked a million times over. My apologies. I just want to get started as soon as possible!!! I am heading to Hawaii for a month soon to see some family and noticed a lot of the fishing done there is top water lures. Halcos style even. I have never gone after salmon here, but though it would be a great training exercise and give me some confidence.

I have a light bream rod/ 8 lb mono and I use 4 lb FC. If I want to target small salmon from PPB, what is the lightest or best halco lure to use. 20 gram? Also, where would be a great place to start? I have seen some guys at sandringham once throwing them.

And it is just a fast retrieve on the surface right???

Any help would be appreciated. So thanks in advance. I really would like to get out tomorrow and have a shot. I also seen an old bloke at the Warmies throwing a halco around??? hmm

Cheers friends

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Wanting to start targetting salmon on Halcos!!!! Please

Post by DougieK » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:47 pm

Halco make twisters all the way down to 5g that are still very effective on salmon. IMO you need heavier leader, salmon change directions very quickly and if 4lb leader touches the side of the fish it's a good chance to snap. Other people will disagree, but IMO there is no reason to fish less than 10lb leader.

The gear you have other than that is fine to target salmon in the bay

but

If you want the best possible chance to connect to salmon, buy a 9 foot surf spin rod. You cannot beat the casting efficiency, time int he water, and amount of ground you covered than with a 902 combo that we discuss on here so frequently.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Do any of you salmon guys throw poppers ~100mm? They go bananas for them off the boat when there's no knobs driving through the school...

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:08 pm

cobby wrote:Do any of you salmon guys throw poppers ~100mm? They go bananas for them off the boat when there's no knobs driving through the school...

Carl has had some success recently on Richter plugs.

I've honestly never got one but i have no doubt at all they'll get smashed.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:08 pm

DougieK wrote:Halco make twisters all the way down to 5g that are still very effective on salmon. IMO you need heavier leader, salmon change directions very quickly and if 4lb leader touches the side of the fish it's a good chance to snap. Other people will disagree, but IMO there is no reason to fish less than 10lb leader.

The gear you have other than that is fine to target salmon in the bay

but

If you want the best possible chance to connect to salmon, buy a 9 foot surf spin rod. You cannot beat the casting efficiency, time int he water, and amount of ground you covered than with a 902 combo that we discuss on here so frequently.
Agree with Dougie. I've got a Halco Chrome Twist lure I swear by as the great Carl has advised as well, and it works every time I'm down at Gunnas. I've got a 15lb mono on a 9ft and 12ft rod and totally agree, you cast further and cover more ground as well. Sometimes when reeling the line in you'll see how fast the salmon will swim to swipe your line and anything 10-15lb is the job.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:24 pm

cobby wrote:Do any of you salmon guys throw poppers ~100mm? They go bananas for them off the boat when there's no knobs driving through the school...
what kind of poppers cobby?

cobby

Post by cobby » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:31 pm

Roosta poppers, Williamsons Jet poppers and similar. Stickbaits would work too but haven't tried. The fish have to be pretty active near the surface to get constant hits and fish

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:30 pm

cobby wrote:Roosta poppers, Williamsons Jet poppers and similar. Stickbaits would work too but haven't tried. The fish have to be pretty active near the surface to get constant hits and fish
now i don't know why I didn't throw the 86mm white bent the other day. Will have a go on monday

cobby

Post by cobby » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:39 pm

it's all relative to what they're chasing. No point throwing 10cm lures if they're hitting 3cm white bait

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:42 pm

for surface lures just pick the appropriately sized and weighted roosta popper 80mm is 16g, 105mm is 38g and 135 is 49g
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”