what do you do with your salmon?

Aussie Salmon, Bay Trout, all info for Australian Salmon
BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: what do you do with your salmon?

Post by BIG GAV » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:32 pm

Horses.. Oh wait that's dog food! I'd rather feed my dog a fish over a horse unless it's a horse of a fish
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:57 pm

tried it once and I didn't really rate it so now it becomes bait when I can be stuffed keeping them
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:07 pm

Nothing against pets eating pet food, my dog would eat any fish anytime, but is there maybe another species that always seems in plague proportions ie banjo sharks that could be used or are they too hard to harvest probably. Also cray fishermen use the salmon in craypots which is a little disheartening watching them get loaded on the cray boats, Crays are big business it seems, pity that we export so much of our prized table fish just for the money?

Just sticking up for the humble salmon! Wish we could see some bigger ones!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:42 pm

I think the smaller size of salmon here is less to do with over fishing and more to do with the natural distribution of the salmon population. We get smaller snapper and whiting here than they do in SA too. Commercial fishing removes far more fish from the ocean than recreational fishers so if salmon were in fact being over fished then they'd be the people to complain to, not folk taking a few home for the dogs.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:05 pm

some of these large australian salmon are actually a different species, the eastern australian salmon ussually grows to around 2.5-3kg
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:28 pm

There is big salmon in vic down Gippsland way between lakes entrance and Eden at the right time of the year big green backs my best was 4kg about 8 years ago half way between lakes and marlo

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:51 pm

I bleed them well and either bake them with herbs n spices, make Thai fishcakes, beer batter fillets. Still gotta try a few other recipes.
But really I'm not a huge fish eater but I can say this if you don't bleed them well they don't taste nice at all in my opinion.
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:05 am

I immediately bleed them & scale + gut them at the end of a fishing session, cooked fresh within two days of capture & they make great eating in fish recipes or cooked outright..

JetFeeds

Post by JetFeeds » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:13 am

These are great smoked.
Bleed and gut them straight away then scale and fillet them leaving the skin on. Rub salt and brown sugar liberally over the flesh side and place in the smoker skin side down in a foil tray or use tin foil and fold up the edges. Eat on its own or blend with some sour cream to make an awesome dip.
Enjoy!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:16 am

JetFeeds wrote:These are great smoked.
Bleed and gut them straight away then scale and fillet them leaving the skin on. Rub salt and brown sugar liberally over the flesh side and place in the smoker skin side down in a foil tray or use tin foil and fold up the edges. Eat on its own or blend with some sour cream to make an awesome dip.
Enjoy!
I have been meaning to try this method. Someone else recently posted that smoked they taste awesome... Will definitely give it a go when I next catch some salmons :)

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”