what do you do with your salmon?

Aussie Salmon, Bay Trout, all info for Australian Salmon
GTSHoon

Re: what do you do with your salmon?

Post by GTSHoon » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:19 am

Catch and release mainly for me, will keep a few now though for snapper season, always good to have on hand when you need them!
As far as eating goes why not just go and catch some flathead or squid if you are directly after a feed? Much less difficult on prep and tastes good almost anyway you can cook it!
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:05 am

I like to torpedo Punt them right through the big sticks at my local footy ground, na, just kiddin, If i have to eat the feral tasting things I make sure I marinate them in Vinigar, lemon and lime juice overnight and then fry them

trebbalzzz

Post by trebbalzzz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:39 am

I never knew about bleeding the salmon and I have never had a problem with eating them, I actually like really like them smoked or in beer battered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015/16 Spec Comp:
Fresh water: Rainbow trout 27cm

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:37 pm

+1 Smoked. I never liked them until I put the fillets in a smoker.
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:13 pm

Just out of interest, why would you feed them to the dog and waste our fishing stocks?

Using for bait they at least go back into the ecosystem or eating them yourself you have to eat something.

Maybe we should think twice and let them live so there is something left for the future even if just a salmon.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:59 pm

either way tony they're being used. It's the people that bag out then have frozen fillets in their freezers for donkeys years before throwing the stuff away that need to rethink.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: RE: Re: what do you do with your salmon?

Post by bowl » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:20 pm

Tonyzee wrote:Just out of interest, why would you feed them to the dog and waste our fishing stocks?

Using for bait they at least go back into the ecosystem or eating them yourself you have to eat something.

Maybe we should think twice and let them live so there is something left for the future even if just a salmon.
Um where do you think the fish in cat food comes from.Netters

Don't see much difference from feeding a dog or cat fish,regardless how it was caught imo

Sent from my D2005 using Tapatalk
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:54 pm

The Salmon vessel that fishes here in Lakes Entrance, sends them for pet food. Approx 1000 tonne per year as far as I know. Salmon stocks are on the increase according to AFMA. Back in the first part of the 20 century, salmon was the main catch for commercial fishers. Many thousands of tonnes where caught for human consumption. There used to be Salmon pens here in lakes, the fish were caught in beach seines and towed back inside the lake and penned up. Nowadays people prefer flathead and shark. It is highly unlikely that recreational fishermen taking their allowed bag will put a dent in the stock. As far as I am concerned I take what I can eat and I do give some to the dogs. Mostly I head home after I have 5-6 Salmon.
The total Catch of eastern Australian Salmon is between 1500 and 2000 tonnes per year and is listed as sustainable. In fact eating more Salmon and less of the more prized fish would be beneficial to our fish stocks. Salmon are fast breeders and quickly replace lost stock.
Localized stock depletion can occur if a particular area is hit hard by netting, once that area is left alone it will quickly recover. So there is a case to be made to keep netters from popular fishing beaches. http://www.fish.gov.au/reports/finfish/ ... almon.aspx
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:27 pm

Tonyzee wrote:Just out of interest, why would you feed them to the dog and waste our fishing stocks?

I doubt recreational fishing has the potential to do serious damage to fish stocks the way unrestricted netting can. Pets are going to have to eat something and it might as well be a sustainably caught fish.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:33 pm

You know where catfood comes from right?
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”