first time salmon fishing

Aussie Salmon, Bay Trout, all info for Australian Salmon
rafei1

Re: first time salmon fishing

Post by rafei1 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:16 pm

They are easy to overcook and will become dry. So try not to overcook.
put some seasoning, garlic and corriander in an oven with foil and salt. Should be nice
Best so far: 47cm aus salmon, 41cm mullet, 40cm king George whiting , 38cm Bream, 35cm flathead, 33 cm pinky, squid 20cm. 2 sting rays caught caught, 1 took a rod as a souvenir. Need to catch snapper... :fish11:

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:58 pm

Diesel1 wrote:What are Australian Salmon like to eat are they only for bait or cat food you hear so many reports on there tast.???????? Diesel1
Trick is too bleed them straight away and eat fresh.

People's taste vary, some people like eating carp, so try it.

drift100

Post by drift100 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:41 pm

We love them the same day, usually just pan fry with garlic /herb/butter, but have steamed and deep fried them and was still good. But yeah bleeding straight away is essential

re-tyred
Has liked: 376 times

Post by re-tyred » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:34 am

How to handle Salmon for eating.
When you land the Salmon, immediately kill it with a spike to the brain or a sharp hit on the top of the head with an attitude adjuster.
Cut the throat and gut the fish, make sure you scrape out the blood membrane in the gut cavity.
Place the fish in cool seawater for 10 minutes while it bleeds.
Then place it in an esky with ice and a small amount of seawater.( I take 2x 2 litre milk cantainers with frozen
water with me)
When you get home fillet skin and bone the fillet.
Place the fillets in salted water in the fridge till you are ready to cook them.
Eat them within 24 hours.

If the fish is a large one make sure you cut the fillets in to small portions no more that about 15mm thick before
cooking.

I generally roll them in bread crumbs or couscous with my favourite spices mixed thru. If you use couscous let
them sit in the fridge for an hour or so after coating them, so the couscous can soften and soak up some of the
moisture.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”