Hi board

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
Supi

Hi board

Post by Supi » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:55 pm

Hi all, I'm Mike. I'm new here.
I enjoy fishing and climbing.
I am looking for advice on purchasing a low profile baitcasting reel https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-baitcasting-reels/ . I currently am mainly a spinning reel guy who loves to fish the rivers for salmon and steelhead from the bank. I have developed a hand issue that requires me to start looking more seriously at a bait caster in low profile for how easy they are to handle and that they tend to be lighter. I have an 8' 6" shimano clarus rod already with an abu ambassadeur C3 6501, but I am thinking the low profile reels might be easier to handle with my hand issue. I am open to any of your thoughts and want a reel that would be able to handle a nice King so I need something with a good drag system. I am limited by funds and would love to have a Shimano Curado, but presently would not be able to handle that. So what would be your recommendations of a solid reel that would hold up to those fun battles with larger salmon. Thanks
Last edited by Supi on Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Hi board

Post by Sebb » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:00 pm

Supi wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:55 pm
Hi all, I'm Mike. I'm new here.
I enjoy fishing and climbing.
I am looking for advice on purchasing a low profile baitcasting reel. I currently am mainly a spinning reel guy who loves to fish the rivers for salmon and steelhead from the bank. I have developed a hand issue that requires me to start looking more seriously at a bait caster in low profile for how easy they are to handle and that they tend to be lighter. I have an 8' 6" shimano clarus rod already with an abu ambassadeur C3 6501, but I am thinking the low profile reels might be easier to handle with my hand issue. I am open to any of your thoughts and want a reel that would be able to handle a nice King so I need something with a good drag system. I am limited by funds and would love to have a Shimano Curado, but presently would not be able to handle that. So what would be your recommendations of a solid reel that would hold up to those fun battles with larger salmon. Thanks
Hi, welcome.
Never knew we could catch steelhead trout here...
I'm no master in baitcasting but was going to suggest Curado.

Shimano Tranx and Abu Garcia Revo Premier are good. But they can be pretty expensive.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:55 pm

:welcome2: aboard Mike :)

muzza43
Has liked: 104 times

Post by muzza43 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:25 pm

Hi, Hi board and welcome. All the way from Atlanta USA. Cheers, muzza43.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:26 pm

Welcome mate

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:54 pm

Mike, in terms of the reel you seek, what sort of fish do you intend to target? That determines whether you need a small baitcaster, a medium one like the Curado 200 or a bigger one like a Tranx, Lexa etc.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Return to “Introductions”