Introduction. Noobie looking to catch.

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
Gozzy63
Has liked: 6 times

Introduction. Noobie looking to catch.

Post by Gozzy63 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:38 am

Hey folks. Nice to see this forum!
My wife and I have finally bought a boat after a very tough last few years and we would love to enjoy our beautiful PBB to its fullest.
Went out and saw the seals yesterday on Chinamans hut and it was a treat.
Hvew been have a fair crack at the fish over last 3 days from Corio bay and clifton springs through to Queenscliff and very litle action at all.
Folks at the boat ramps have all been saying the same thing.
I hear a lot about the bay being really productive and healthy but we are having a heck of a time catching much at all.
Does anyone know of some regularly good spots for Flattie and whiting?
Would be amazing to catch snapper and we are watching as much youtube stuff as we can and learning. Any advice by those who catch regularly would be eagerly appreciated. Thankyou for any help/advice for us newcomers to the bay!

Fish0n4Reel

Re: Introduction. Noobie looking to catch.

Post by Fish0n4Reel » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:53 am

Mornington Pier is pretty good for Whiting, Leatherjacket, Port Jackson Shark, Australian salmon, Flathead, Snapper, Kingfish (rarely) and Garfish. If you want to take a fish home for dinner make sure to measure your fish according to the legal size limit. Garfish are yummy and they are present at Mornington Pier, too. No size limit for Garfish. 21 cm is the legal size limit for salmon, 27 cm for flathead, 28 for snapper, 27 for whiting and etc.

Fish0n4Reel

Post by Fish0n4Reel » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:54 am

You have to memorise the legal size limits. If it's a bit confusing, legal size limits are used to protect the conservation of fish. For example, if you catch a flathead under 27 centimetres, you have to release it. But if it's at least 27 centimetres, you can keep it.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:56 am

Gozzy63 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:38 am
Hey folks. Nice to see this forum!
My wife and I have finally bought a boat after a very tough last few years and we would love to enjoy our beautiful PBB to its fullest.
Went out and saw the seals yesterday on Chinamans hut and it was a treat.
Hvew been have a fair crack at the fish over last 3 days from Corio bay and clifton springs through to Queenscliff and very litle action at all.
Folks at the boat ramps have all been saying the same thing.
I hear a lot about the bay being really productive and healthy but we are having a heck of a time catching much at all.
Does anyone know of some regularly good spots for Flattie and whiting?
Would be amazing to catch snapper and we are watching as much youtube stuff as we can and learning. Any advice by those who catch regularly would be eagerly appreciated. Thankyou for any help/advice for us newcomers to the bay!
Listen to the Pulse fishing show that is on Saturday mornings they do have pod casts as well. Don't know the website.

Fish0n4Reel

Post by Fish0n4Reel » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:58 am

Nice to have a new member of the forum. Here, you have ranks, and you are ranked in fish. My rank is a banjo. You achieve higher ranks by posting more. here's the complete list:

New Member 1 post
Baitfish 10 posts
Carp 25 posts
Banjo 35 posts
Garfish 50 posts
Cephalopod 100 posts
Flathead 200 posts
Australian Salmon 275 posts
King George Whiting 450 posts
Silver Trevally 600 posts
Snapper 750 posts
Bream 1000 posts
Rainbow Trout 1250 posts
Gummy Shark 1500 posts
Cod 3000 posts
Kingfish 4000 posts
Mako Shark 7500 posts
Mulloway 10000 posts
Marlin 15000 posts
Jaws 20000 posts

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:26 pm

If you're new to boat fishing, best is to follow the crowds. Fish sunrise and sunset. Get Blackmagic whiting snatcher rig and you're set.
Usually there's always fish in 7-10 metres of water in front of clifton springs jetty. Good squid grounds too. Cast squid jigs and retrieve, or put under float.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:50 pm

Fish0n4Reel wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:53 am
Mornington Pier is pretty good for Whiting, Leatherjacket, Port Jackson Shark, Australian salmon, Flathead, Snapper, Kingfish (rarely) and Garfish. If you want to take a fish home for dinner make sure to measure your fish according to the legal size limit. Garfish are yummy and they are present at Mornington Pier, too. No size limit for Garfish. 21 cm is the legal size limit for salmon, 27 cm for flathead, 28 for snapper, 27 for whiting and etc.
He's on the other side of the bay mate

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:59 pm

:welcome2: to the forum mate.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:25 pm

Whats with all the spam posts lately??

Anyway welcome to the forum Gozzy, congrats on the boat. It sounds like you are on the right track. I havent fished the area you are talking about soi cant help you with any exact spots but from all reports it is a very productive region so you can be too far off having a good days fishing. Just try to take in as much info as you can and keep at it.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:41 pm

I would suggest you get yourself some squid jigs and try for some squid for now. They are easy to catch and are everywhere in the bay now. Once your a bit more confident catching them then give the others a go. It will if not anything at least give you some confidence for future boating and fishing.

Return to “Introductions”