New from SE burbs

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
Bobbie009

New from SE burbs

Post by Bobbie009 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:10 pm

Hey, guys

Originally from SE QLD, fished with my dad as a kid/teen. Basic rig; swivel, sinker, hook and worms, fishing of piers and shores of the Sunny Coast. Getting back into fishing again after many years away

Hoping to get into and master lures. Never really seen or had any experience with lures and I'm keen to get started, definitely looks like a more difficult way of fishing, but more fun. Hoping to head to Mordialloc after work on Saturday arvo and test out some lures.

If you guys have any fave lures or advice, I would much appreciate. Also any other spots I should be hitting.

Bought a Kato Spinning combo last weekend and hit up Patterson Lakes with no luck, however was running bait shop bait :(

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: New from SE burbs

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:16 pm

WELCOME MATE!
Plenty of info here on what lures to use , start getting used to the search function.
Cheers

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:48 pm

:welcome: to the forum mate :)
Mordialloc pier in the past I have had fun catching salmon with metals and plastics but it’s been in the cooler months :)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:03 pm

Welcomeme mate
Look forward to your reports

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:36 pm

Welcome mate. Eeek, did you miss out in Qld not using lures! Lived there part of my life, central, Capricorn, 80% of my fishing there was lures. Never too late though mate.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:01 pm

Welcome Bob

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:19 pm

Hello Bob

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:27 am

Welcome.

The fishing in Melbourne is comparably utter garbage if you're from QLD.

By far the two easiest things to catch in PPB and surrounds if you want to use lures, are squid and salmon.

Squid at the moment are probably the easier target until mid April or so.

The two jigs I have the most success on Yamashita R08 3.5 (by far the best in my opinion) and the Shimano Sephia 14t or 61t. There is a guy called Rui on Ebay (also in clayton) who makes some nice jigs, you probably also want a red foiled jig of some kind. I won't write a tutorial on the technique because professor youtube will give a much better answer than I will. Good locations for me have been anything south of Mornington where weed beds are present. Mornington-Mt Martha-Rye-Blairgowrie-Sorrento-Portsea-Flinders are all consistent squid producing platforms.

Spinning salmon is an entirely different story, and while you will catch salmon at the moment, some of them excellent sizes, if you target them at the moment it will be largely hit and miss. Most seasons kick off mid april and go through to november or december. There are still fish around in the meantime but they are harder to predict.

Finally, drop into a BCF and pick yourself up the AFN guides to Port Phillip Bay and Westernport. They are $10 each and wonderful resources to point you in the right direction.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Bobbie009

Post by Bobbie009 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:52 pm

Cheers for the replies and advice :D

Return to “Introductions”