Hi guys!

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
ZestyLemon

Hi guys!

Post by ZestyLemon » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:26 am

Hi!
I'm Matthew, and a complete newbie to fishing - I picked it up after the kids (12 and 13) saw some bloke pick up a 50cm snapper from a pier they were swimming at. I am mainly landbased in the Mordialloc region, but willing to drive up to 30 minutes for a spot.
We decided to start with soft plastics, as that was what the bloke was using to catch the snapper. All three of us have got a Kmart 6'6 2-4kg rod, Shimano sienna 2500 spooled with 10lb braid and 20lb flourocarbon leader, with a 1/6 oz tt jighead 1/0 size hook paired with a zman slim swimz in watermelon red.
I haven't really gone to a saltwater trip as we haven't had the time, but I have managed to catch stocked trout on them.
However, I'm not too sure where to go, could you guys please point me to a spot where I am in for a chance of flathead and pinkies, and inform me of the retrieves used (the kids haven't landed a fish yet and are losing hope )
Cheers!

A-a-ron
Has liked: 32 times

Re: Hi guys!

Post by A-a-ron » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:49 am

ZestyLemon wrote:Hi!
I'm Matthew, and a complete newbie to fishing - I picked it up after the kids (12 and 13) saw some bloke pick up a 50cm snapper from a pier they were swimming at. I am mainly landbased in the Mordialloc region, but willing to drive up to 30 minutes for a spot.
We decided to start with soft plastics, as that was what the bloke was using to catch the snapper. All three of us have got a Kmart 6'6 2-4kg rod, Shimano sienna 2500 spooled with 10lb braid and 20lb flourocarbon leader, with a 1/6 oz tt jighead 1/0 size hook paired with a zman slim swimz in watermelon red.
I haven't really gone to a saltwater trip as we haven't had the time, but I have managed to catch stocked trout on them.
However, I'm not too sure where to go, could you guys please point me to a spot where I am in for a chance of flathead and pinkies, and inform me of the retrieves used (the kids haven't landed a fish yet and are losing hope )
Cheers!
Hey mate, welcome!

Mordi pier is a good spot to go fishing. Heard chicken is a good bait for pinkies around that area as well as squid. Try using fresh baits and you should get a hit from something. Check out the forum there is lots of info about Mordi and surrounding areas that will give you some great tips and help you all land a fish. :thumbsup:

A-a-ron
Has liked: 32 times

Post by A-a-ron » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:24 am

MORNINGTON PIER

A beautiful pier with many regulars, Mornington Pier offers season fishing for species such as salmon, snapper, garfish and trevally, squid can be caught at the pier all year round.

MAIN SPECIES: Squid, Snapper, Salmon, Garfish, Trevally

GENERAL FISHING
If you want to head down to Mornington pier for a casual fishing session, try flicking 2.0 squid jigs at high tide, if you do well you have either dinner or fresh bait! Paternoster rigs with size 8 hooks will allow you to catch most species from the local leatherjacket and goatfish to seasonal visitors such as salmon, whiting and trevally. I find the right hand side to be more productive than the left, but fishing on the left can produce fish if you have a good casting arm.

SPECIES FISHING

Squid
Squid are a year-round option at Mornington, although big squid are rare, the pier is an excellent place to collect bait sized squid, or a meal if you catch a few. I always focus my efforts on the right hand side of the pier, and when possible I fish from the small jetty on the left, the squid hunt throughout the broken weed and under the moored boats, smaller jigs work best here, try white during the day, red foil belly at sunset and black during the night, size 2.0 works best. Make sure to give your jig plenty of time to sink in the deeper water.

Snapper
Your best bet at catching snapper at Mornington is to wait for a strong wind, as food gets pushed up against the reef the snapper are sure to follow, use pilchards and locally caught squid, if you are impatient and can't wait for the winds, try fishing at the end of the pier with a surf rod, if you can get a good enough cast out there are a few good patches of deeper water that occasionally hold snapper.

Salmon
Salmon are a species that wander from place to place in huge schools, these schools often stop by Mornington and the following bite is always exciting, try using metal lures, soft plastics or unweighted pilchard cubes, using light gear will make this a lot more exciting!

Garfish
Like salmon, garfish are a wandering fish, when they visit Mornington their location will vary, for best results use a floating burley pot with bread and tuna oil to keep them on the bite and in the area. Your rig should consist of a pencil float, 50cm leader with a split shot 30cm below the float, use size 12 hooks and try whitebait, squid strips, bread and maggots for bait.

Trevally
Trevally love reefy areas and structure, so it's no mystery that they can be found at Mornington, they will happily take a pippie, pilchard or fresh squid on a paternoster rig, they will often be hooked near pylons so be weary of trevally wrapping you around them and breaking your line!

Mornington Pier is a heavily populated pier, unfortunately it is often subject to people taking too many fish or undersized species, set a good example when keeping fish and ensure you call 13 FISH if you see people up to no good.

Also another option is Mornington pier

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:27 am

Welcome to the forum mate.
Your local pier at mordialloc is quite good. I have caught many species off that pier including snapper, pinkies, salmon, flatties, gars and squid :thumbsup:

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:32 am

In a couple months time, Mordialloc Pier will be swarming with thousands of Juv Aus Salmon that make the reef their home. If your keen on using plastics, then this would be an awesome option.

Use a plastic that best resembles a baitfish. zman Slim Swimz are the go in my opinion.
Cast, let it sink until its just above bottom, and slow roll (retrieve) it back.

All the advice i can give you with finding a reliable spot for plastic fishing as i don't do it much, i fish from boat.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:04 am

G'day and welcome to the forum, I hope you do well with your fishing exploits, cheers davo :thumbsup:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:18 am

Welcome
People above have metioned a lot so i want confuse you with more into.
Just get out there ans enjoy your self

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:44 am

Tell the kids not to give up. The patience will be worth it. Perhaps take them on a charter too if you can afford it. You will learn a lot plus they are almost guaranteed to reel something in!

ZestyLemon

Post by ZestyLemon » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:27 pm

Are there any special retrieves I should use when using soft plastics? Is brighton a spot worth trying and if so, where on the Pier should I go?

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:29 pm

brighton pier righthand side retrieves slow roll and my best for flattys double hop

Return to “Introductions”