Hi Fellas and after some boat advice.

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
Anthony M

Hi Fellas and after some boat advice.

Post by Anthony M » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:17 pm

Hey Fellas,

Been reading the forum for the last few days and thought I would sign up and introduce myself, as well as ask for some advice from you guys. I started about 5 years ago, and about 3 years ago I got into kayak fishing. I currently have a Hobie PA and I mostly fish PPB. I live in Aspendale so I have good access to the South East and the peninsula. Most of my fishing happens between Beaumaris and Safety Beach with my favorite targets being snapper, salmon and squid. I also like going out from the top end of Westernport to chase gummies. I also like getting down to the easturies in the Gippsland area to chase bream and try and get out that way 2 or 3 times a year for some fishing and camping. Lately I've been doing some freshwater fishing as well and fished the Maury for my first time ever which was fun and I'll probably be doing some more in the future.

Lately I've been thinking about getting a boat. While I love the kayak I've been struggling to get out in it since I finished Uni last year. The last few years while I was at uni I had plenty of time to get out however I'm now working 6 days a week and often find that a day out in the kayak is to tiring and makes the work week a struggle, especially when I want to travel longer distances for snapper and gummy fishing.

I don't have any experience with boats and up until this year I had never been fishing on a boat. I've been out a couple of times this year with my friend and his dad on their 16ft fiberglass runabout. I always thought a boat would be much more work than it is and it's nice not having to put in 20-45 mins of pedaling to get out some some fishing spots. I also like the company which is hard on a kayak even if you go out with others.

I've been looking at boats and been doing some research but there's just so much to choose from and I really have no idea what would be suitable for me. I would like something that is suitable to launch by myself and is comfortable when there is two or three people on the boat. My budget is around $15-18k and so far I'm thinking a tinny will be the best option.

I've had a look at a few boats and I like the look of the Quintrex Renegade 420 or Stacer Outlaw 429. The Clark Pursuit 427s also looks good. I'm worried if I went for a boat in this size range it would be too small for the bays though. Having a look at them at the dealers they do seem like they would be very comfortable with 2 people and maybe a little cramped with 3 but still useable. Compared to my friends runabout it seems pretty spacious because of the open deck. If I did get a boat in this size it seems like a 40hp tiller steer would be the go as the console does take up a bit of room. However I'm not what the negatives of using a tiller steer vs having the console other than the lack of protection for the driver. I'm not too worried about the cold because I have plenty of cold weather gear that I use on the kayak. In terms of outboards I like the sound of the Evinrude because the maintenance is much less but a lot of people seem to like the 4 strokes better.

Hopefully you guys can help me out because I'm a little out of my depth here.

Cheers,
Anthony

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Hi Fellas and after some boat advice.

Post by CarlG » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:27 pm

Hey Anthony, those boats seem.perfectly adequate for the bay. The bloke I deckie for had a 4.5mtr stacer centre console, and we were all over westernport in it. Just pick your days, you'll be right.
Personally, I'd go centre console, but that's entirely up to you.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:42 pm

Looking at new or used?

Anthony M

Post by Anthony M » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:01 pm

I'm not necessary opposed to buying used but given the little experience I have I feel like buying new might be the better option.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:04 pm

Tinny is a great 1st boat...each to their own, but I'd keep it simple and get a tiller steer (turns faster and less things to go wrong). Try and get a longshaft motor as it helps keep the water out if you slow down quickly. Yamaha seems to be the best in regards to re-sale.
If your buying new, Melb boat show is about 2 months away if you can wait.
Have fun shopping!

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:15 pm

I nearly bought one of these ....prob get Less resale , then stacer or Quintrex....one of a thousand of options out there
http://www.kareemarine.com.au/stessco-4 ... e-console/

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:19 pm

One thing i will tell you right now.
Buy the biggest boat you can afford because as soon as you buy a boat people will come out the woodwork to go fishing with you. And you will regret getting the smaller boat.

I would look at 4.5m as a minimum.
What motor you want will entirely depend on what sort of fishing you want to do. Ans believe me once you get the bigger boat you will travel further and further and only thing stopping you will be fuel capacity.

If you y like tbe estuary as well then its a compromise. Between a bay and an estuary hull.

Make surr you also have tbe room for storage and the towing capacity for the new boat .

Anthony M

Post by Anthony M » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:59 pm

Mattblack wrote:Tinny is a great 1st boat...each to their own, but I'd keep it simple and get a tiller steer (turns faster and less things to go wrong). Try and get a longshaft motor as it helps keep the water out if you slow down quickly. Yamaha seems to be the best in regards to re-sale.
If your buying new, Melb boat show is about 2 months away if you can wait.
Have fun shopping!
I am drawn towards a tiller steer as it does seem to have some advantages over a console and will be a few grand cheaper. I'm pretty open in terms of motor brand. The main thing I liked about the evinrude over a Yamaha or Suzuki is the servicing every 3 years compared to every year. It does sound like all of the major brands make good motors though so it might be down to what sort pricing is on offer and what boat I end up deciding on.

Waiting for the boat show is a good idea, I'm not in a hurry to buy as I still have the kayak in the meantime. Are the deals at the boat show significantly better than normal pricing?
bowl wrote:I nearly bought one of these ....prob get Less resale , then stacer or Quintrex....one of a thousand of options out there
http://www.kareemarine.com.au/stessco-4 ... e-console/
Haven't looked at anything from Stessco so far, there's just so many options. It does seem like good value for money.
purple5ive wrote:One thing i will tell you right now.
Buy the biggest boat you can afford because as soon as you buy a boat people will come out the woodwork to go fishing with you. And you will regret getting the smaller boat.

I would look at 4.5m as a minimum.
What motor you want will entirely depend on what sort of fishing you want to do. Ans believe me once you get the bigger boat you will travel further and further and only thing stopping you will be fuel capacity.

If you y like tbe estuary as well then its a compromise. Between a bay and an estuary hull.

Make surr you also have tbe room for storage and the towing capacity for the new boat .
Storage and towing is one of the main reasons I'm looking at the 4.2m boats. I have a shed which is 2.2m wide and 5.6m deep so it would fit a 4.2m pretty much perfectly. I also have a gated driveway down the side of my house which would fit pretty much anything but I would prefer to keep the boat in the shed if possible. I drive a VF Commodore Wagon which has a towing capacity of 1600kg so it should be fine for a tinny.

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Trumpeter » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:21 pm

The Renegades give a very good ride in chop due to the hull design and weight and have plenty of beam, the 420 is a bit over 2m so you wont have much room left over in your shed!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:27 pm

I would even go upto a 5mt quintrex

Return to “Introductions”