Hi Fellas and after some boat advice.

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Hi Fellas and after some boat advice.

Post by purple5ive » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:49 am

Anthony M wrote:
bowl wrote:I buy boats that suits me and not my mates ....
Sounds like you will be launching solo most of time....
Yeah definitely, that's why I'm apprehensive of getting something too big. I would like something that is small enough that launching solo isn't an issue but I can still take 2 or 3 people out on when I want too.
get a drive on trailer, that will be easier when retrieving, with the added bonus of being able to rope and winch back in regardless the old fashioned way.
the centre consoles in a small boat , no seat is the best option.
a 4.8-5m can still be easily launched once you have some practice.

also dont forget have an electric tilt and trim on the motor will do wonders for you regardless of wether its a tiller steer or console.

Mjacc

Post by Mjacc » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:33 am

Mattblack wrote:Are these things easy to install? Is there a trick to getting them to work 100% of the time? (I see a lot of people at the ramp not being able to get it to engage properly)
Once you use it a couple of times they work really well. When I first used it, I cocked it up. But now it works everytime, Mine got a bit old and broke so I replaced it. They just bolt on

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:45 am

Mjacc wrote:
Mattblack wrote:Are these things easy to install? Is there a trick to getting them to work 100% of the time? (I see a lot of people at the ramp not being able to get it to engage properly)
Once you use it a couple of times they work really well. When I first used it, I cocked it up. But now it works everytime, Mine got a bit old and broke so I replaced it. They just bolt on
Cheers, might have to start another thread for my next question (don't want to hijack this one!)

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:28 am

I had a l and r boat latch on my streaker it’s in my shed now, when I first got my Haines I fitted a recoverezy cheap $120 worked every time. The l and r wouldn’t fit that trailer since buying a new trailer with bunks no rollers the boat doesn’t move and I don’t need any

mr plow

Post by mr plow » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:39 am

if trailer is set up right anything up to 6m is easy to launch by your self. if you go tiller steer you can get tiller extension which allows you to stand up or further up the boat.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:30 pm

Mattblack wrote:
smile0784 wrote:Buy one of these if launching solo

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3513205700

I can launch solo with no problems and retrieve is a breeze
Are these things easy to install? Is there a trick to getting them to work 100% of the time? (I see a lot of people at the ramp not being able to get it to engage properly)
Pretty to install only really got to drill 2 holes and then bolt on.

I think the issues are from incorrect elignment or not being set up properly then a issue with the mechanism it self

Anthony M

Post by Anthony M » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:42 pm

Thanks guys, the trailer catch and release definitely looks like a good way to go.

I'm going to go out this weekend and look at some boats now that I have a bit more idea what I'm looking for.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:30 am

Good luck mate.
Maybe tell us what your with list is and we can help to work out whats going to be good for you or things you mite missed

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:21 am

Anthony M wrote:Thanks guys, the trailer catch and release definitely looks like a good way to go.

I'm going to go out this weekend and look at some boats now that I have a bit more idea what I'm looking for.
It is the way that’s what I have on mine. Good luck on the weekend :thumbsup:

Anthony M

Post by Anthony M » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:02 pm

Had a look at some boats today, didn't really find much I liked looked at second hand. The ones I did like weren't much cheaper than new in which cased I'd rather spend the extra and get a full warranty. I'm going to keep looking around though as all the places I spoke to said that anything decent in the 4.2 to 5m range goes fast so you have to keep an eye out.

It was interesting to see what the dealers had to say about their own boats. I went and looked at Quintrex, Stacer, Clark and Savage. The Quintrex salesman was pushing the hull shape as the main selling feature and kept talking about how much better their hulls were than everything else. When I told him what I wanted to do he wanted me to look at the 420s saying I didn't need anything bigger and with their "blade" hull it would ride better than a bigger boat from another brand.

The other salesman all talked about their value for money and argued why pay more for a quintrex when you're getting more features for less money with their brand. At the Clark dealer I had a look at the 430 Fishmaster and 449 Rebel. The salesman said that the 430 actually measures 4.4m and the 449 measures 4.7m although I suspect that it's just the way they measure them because they didn't seem any bigger than other brands.

The 449 Rebel while just outside my budget seems like good value. The Side Console model painted with a 60hp 4 stroke, 60l underfloor tank, rear steps on either side, plumbed kill tank in the casting deck, bow mount plate + the standard features was quoted at 21k which seemed like good value for money. The fit and finish on the boat wasn't as nice as the Quintrexs or Stacers but it did seem well made and offered a lot more boat for the price.

I also found out from one of the dealers that I can buy a second transducer for the Raymarine Dragonfly 7pro I have on my kayak for
just over $100 from the US which would means I can share the head unit between the boat and kayak which was handy to know.

Return to “Introductions”