Hello and seeking boat advice!

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
Pdiddy24
Has liked: 49 times

Re: Hello and seeking boat advice!

Post by Pdiddy24 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:10 am

Mattblack wrote:
Pdiddy24 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:I've got a Stabicaft 1650 Fisher, it's a little tank... it's not the most attractive boat and the dings seem to suit it (so I beat the crap out of it). I looked at all the Aussie pressed boats (Stacer, Quinny, etc) and although they're good, the Kiwi boats are in a different league. I chose a Stabicraft for the buoyancy/safety in the end (& Honda because of the long warranty).
Only regrets were not getting the dealer to fit an anchor winch, got one fitted later...they shouldn't even be offered as an option, it should be mandatory!
Honestly cant fault it, everything on it is well thought out & good quality. I've taken it off-shore a couple of times and I felt fairly confident. Really easy to launch solo and it handles the chop better the Bruce Lee.
Be prepared to spend a lot on options.... 7" (min) gps combo, anchor winch & max horse power are essential.
I would have got the 1850, but it would have taken up too much room in the garage (I guess you always want something bigger)
I was impressed with the build quality of Mclay Sportsman at last years boat show as well (a guy on here bought one & did a good post on it).
Enjoy the buying process (all your questions will be found searching this website)
Thanks mate. The Stabi really impressed me when I did a walk around the boatyard and could have really seen myself in one of those. Need to give it more thought. You're not wrong about the extras adding up. The basic package looks resonably priced but as you say you start adding the stuff you really need and it does add up quite quickly but will get some quotes for both of them and focus on getting set up. I did see that topic thread on the Mclays boat build. Looks so nice but I don't think they have a model under 5m.. and the price was too much for my budget with the 521. Do you know if your winch and install was cheaper than what the dealer was offering as a package option?
It depends on your dealer, but it should be cheaper (and easier) getting all your options during the build stage (unless you want to shop around for sales and fit it yourself) I know everyone needs to make a dollar, but most dealers genuinely want to help you out. Just research the options before you go to a show room so you know what brands you like...I ended up getting a Lone Star winch based on opinions from this forum. How much space have you got in your garage?
Ok cool. I'll try and find that forum on the winch options and have a look through and see what costs I can come up with outside of the dealer options. Preference would be to all have it done at that the factory throught he dealer.
The garage is just a touch over 6m in depth and maybe 3m wide. The max door height is only about 1.95m having an automatic door fitted so the folding windscreen options is what I'm looking at as well to accommodate this.

Pdiddy24

Post by Pdiddy24 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:21 am

bowl wrote:My dad owns a steesco hustler...nice boat http://www.stessco.com.au/catalogue/cen ... 2?vmcchk=1
Thanks for the link mate! I'll have a look over this make

Mjacc

Post by Mjacc » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:36 am

Scraglor wrote:I currently have a 530 quintrex coast runner, and had a 455 coast runner for nearly a decade before that. Been out in them hundreds of times, and in some pretty ordinary weather. Having said all that, I have never fished out of a plate boat so dont know how they compare. I am sure they are both great boats, but I am pretty happy with the Quinny. I reckon it would be a lot rougher ride than the plate options however.
I agree with scraglor on the quintrex. I have the same boat 530 coast runner and I know I can take it pretty much anywhere if needed. It is rougher though once it chops up but I understand how it handles so I'm more than happy to push through it. Very stable boat in the water when fishing. Can go fairly shallow. Having said that I am looking at going to fiberglass later this year mainly for a cabin and due to the type of fishing I want to get more into (larger offshore days). But that's purely by choice more than anything. I have had the Quintrex out in complete slop offshore and it handled it no worries at all.

As for Motor Scott dead right, I don't see why you would go under the max recommendation if you have the choice and money isn't too much of an issue. I run a 115 Yamaha, does it easy.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:38 am

Pdiddy24 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
Pdiddy24 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:I've got a Stabicaft 1650 Fisher, it's a little tank... it's not the most attractive boat and the dings seem to suit it (so I beat the crap out of it). I looked at all the Aussie pressed boats (Stacer, Quinny, etc) and although they're good, the Kiwi boats are in a different league. I chose a Stabicraft for the buoyancy/safety in the end (& Honda because of the long warranty).
Only regrets were not getting the dealer to fit an anchor winch, got one fitted later...they shouldn't even be offered as an option, it should be mandatory!
Honestly cant fault it, everything on it is well thought out & good quality. I've taken it off-shore a couple of times and I felt fairly confident. Really easy to launch solo and it handles the chop better the Bruce Lee.
Be prepared to spend a lot on options.... 7" (min) gps combo, anchor winch & max horse power are essential.
I would have got the 1850, but it would have taken up too much room in the garage (I guess you always want something bigger)
I was impressed with the build quality of Mclay Sportsman at last years boat show as well (a guy on here bought one & did a good post on it).
Enjoy the buying process (all your questions will be found searching this website)
Thanks mate. The Stabi really impressed me when I did a walk around the boatyard and could have really seen myself in one of those. Need to give it more thought. You're not wrong about the extras adding up. The basic package looks resonably priced but as you say you start adding the stuff you really need and it does add up quite quickly but will get some quotes for both of them and focus on getting set up. I did see that topic thread on the Mclays boat build. Looks so nice but I don't think they have a model under 5m.. and the price was too much for my budget with the 521. Do you know if your winch and install was cheaper than what the dealer was offering as a package option?
It depends on your dealer, but it should be cheaper (and easier) getting all your options during the build stage (unless you want to shop around for sales and fit it yourself) I know everyone needs to make a dollar, but most dealers genuinely want to help you out. Just research the options before you go to a show room so you know what brands you like...I ended up getting a Lone Star winch based on opinions from this forum. How much space have you got in your garage?
Ok cool. I'll try and find that forum on the winch options and have a look through and see what costs I can come up with outside of the dealer options. Preference would be to all have it done at that the factory throught he dealer.
The garage is just a touch over 6m in depth and maybe 3m wide. The max door height is only about 1.95m having an automatic door fitted so the folding windscreen options is what I'm looking at as well to accommodate this.
That door height will limit you a bit (Barcrushers do a really cool folding hardtop in its smaller models) Also look at the deadrise angle at anything you look at (the bigger the deadrise, the better it will cut through the chop)
(The dealer fit my electrics, trailer and motor...the factory fitted everything else)

Pdiddy24

Post by Pdiddy24 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:47 am

Mjacc wrote:
Scraglor wrote:I currently have a 530 quintrex coast runner, and had a 455 coast runner for nearly a decade before that. Been out in them hundreds of times, and in some pretty ordinary weather. Having said all that, I have never fished out of a plate boat so dont know how they compare. I am sure they are both great boats, but I am pretty happy with the Quinny. I reckon it would be a lot rougher ride than the plate options however.
I agree with scraglor on the quintrex. I have the same boat 530 coast runner and I know I can take it pretty much anywhere if needed. It is rougher though once it chops up but I understand how it handles so I'm more than happy to push through it. Very stable boat in the water when fishing. Can go fairly shallow. Having said that I am looking at going to fiberglass later this year mainly for a cabin and due to the type of fishing I want to get more into (larger offshore days). But that's purely by choice more than anything. I have had the Quintrex out in complete slop offshore and it handled it no worries at all.

As for Motor Scott dead right, I don't see why you would go under the max recommendation if you have the choice and money isn't too much of an issue. I run a 115 Yamaha, does it easy.
Thanks MJacc. I have been scanning throught the Quinnie models to get an idea. And on the motor I will try to get as much hp that I can on it depending on the cost. Hull and motor quality is prob top of the list for me.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:51 pm

There's a saying in alloy circles, once you go plate, you never go back. Don't know how relevant it is, but I've never once seen anyone with a plate boat go back to pressed (quinnies and the like). Can't help with choice as alloy ain't my thing. I have noticed the little Surtees are very sensitive to weight distribution though. Watch one being driven 1 up and they lean more than the tower of Pisa.

Like Scott said, Max HP. Yes it's a few extra $$ upfront but that's offset by resale and a motor never stressed. Anchor winch absolutely mandatory, and no they're not that bad on noise and battery drain is offset by twin batteries and leaving the motor running whilst anchoring/retrieving. Motor brand doesn't matter so much these days outside of personal preference. Yammy, Suzuki, Honda, Mercury are much of a muchness

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:34 pm

Pdiddy24 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
Pdiddy24 wrote:
Mate, I'll give you one bit of advice right now. make sure you measure whatever boat you are getting before purchasing and don't go by the manufacturers measurements.

I have a similar size shed and had to put an extra 1m extension on it. my boat is a 485, but by the time you throw it on the trailer plus an outboard, I think you will be well and truly pushing 7m+ like I did.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:36 pm

cobby wrote:There's a saying in alloy circles, once you go plate, you never go back. Don't know how relevant it is, but I've never once seen anyone with a plate boat go back to pressed (quinnies and the like). Can't help with choice as alloy ain't my thing. I have noticed the little Surtees are very sensitive to weight distribution though. Watch one being driven 1 up and they lean more than the tower of Pisa.

Like Scott said, Max HP. Yes it's a few extra $$ upfront but that's offset by resale and a motor never stressed. Anchor winch absolutely mandatory, and no they're not that bad on noise and battery drain is offset by twin batteries and leaving the motor running whilst anchoring/retrieving. Motor brand doesn't matter so much these days outside of personal preference. Yammy, Suzuki, Honda, Mercury are much of a muchness
I agree with pretty much everything in this post

(but choose the Suzuki!!)

Pdiddy24

Post by Pdiddy24 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:48 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Pdiddy24 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
Pdiddy24 wrote:
Mate, I'll give you one bit of advice right now. make sure you measure whatever boat you are getting before purchasing and don't go by the manufacturers measurements.

I have a similar size shed and had to put an extra 1m extension on it. my boat is a 485, but by the time you throw it on the trailer plus an outboard, I think you will be well and truly pushing 7m+ like I did.
Yeah thanks Kimtown! I did specifically asked the dealer about the total length from trailer hitch to prop and he said it was under the 6m.. Next time I go in I'll take a tape measure to see where it's at for both models. Even my current tinny hasn't got a heap of breathing room in the shed once I think about it. Really appreciate the heads up on that.
How have you found your 485 overall?

Pdiddy24

Post by Pdiddy24 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:51 pm

Pdiddy24 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
Pdiddy24 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
Pdiddy24 wrote:

Yeah thanks Kimtown! I did specifically asked the dealer about the total length from trailer hitch to prop and he said it was under the 6m.. Next time I go in I'll take a tape measure to see where it's at for both models. Even my current tinny hasn't got a heap of breathing room in the shed once I think about it. Really appreciate the heads up on that.
How have you found your 485 overall?
Sorry Kimtown! Still figuring out the forum formatt and remember you savage 485 discussion on previous page. Thought you might have been referring to a Surtee 485. Cheers though!

Return to “Introductions”