Hello and seeking boat advice!

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
Pdiddy24
Has liked: 49 times

Re: Hello and seeking boat advice!

Post by Pdiddy24 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:58 pm

Thanks Cobby. I haven't seen many Surtees out on the water personally only on the internet videos but that point is noted about the weight distribution. I'll check it out on the test drive when I get around to it and stack one side at rest and on the go to see how it planes and all that. One of the videos of the reviews seemed to have a big old boy testing it and it did have a noticeable lean.

haha and the motors will take a bit of work for me to figure out as I'm not that experienced with them having only used an old Yamaha 2 stroke last few years. So stepping up to a new model 4 stroke and key start thing and the potential fault finding etc will test me! All part of it though

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:26 pm

Pdiddy24 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
Pdiddy24 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
Pdiddy24 wrote:
Thanks mate. The Stabi really impressed me when I did a walk around the boatyard and could have really seen myself in one of those. Need to give it more thought. You're not wrong about the extras adding up. The basic package looks resonably priced but as you say you start adding the stuff you really need and it does add up quite quickly but will get some quotes for both of them and focus on getting set up. I did see that topic thread on the Mclays boat build. Looks so nice but I don't think they have a model under 5m.. and the price was too much for my budget with the 521. Do you know if your winch and install was cheaper than what the dealer was offering as a package option?
It depends on your dealer, but it should be cheaper (and easier) getting all your options during the build stage (unless you want to shop around for sales and fit it yourself) I know everyone needs to make a dollar, but most dealers genuinely want to help you out. Just research the options before you go to a show room so you know what brands you like...I ended up getting a Lone Star winch based on opinions from this forum. How much space have you got in your garage?
Ok cool. I'll try and find that forum on the winch options and have a look through and see what costs I can come up with outside of the dealer options. Preference would be to all have it done at that the factory throught he dealer.
The garage is just a touch over 6m in depth and maybe 3m wide. The max door height is only about 1.95m having an automatic door fitted so the folding windscreen options is what I'm looking at as well to accommodate this.
Mate, I'll give you one bit of advice right now. make sure you measure whatever boat you are getting before purchasing and don't go by the manufacturers measurements.

I have a similar size shed and had to put an extra 1m extension on it. my boat is a 485, but by the time you throw it on the trailer plus an outboard, I think you will be well and truly pushing 7m+ like I did.
Yeah thanks Kimtown! I did specifically asked the dealer about the total length from trailer hitch to prop and he said it was under the 6m.. Next time I go in I'll take a tape measure to see where it's at for both models. Even my current tinny hasn't got a heap of breathing room in the shed once I think about it. Really appreciate the heads up on that.
How have you found your 485 overall?
Love my boat, I dont think I'd trade it for any other boat in the world at that size. It's perfectly set up as a jack of all trades imo. It will never handle the chop like a plate, but I do my best to avoid days like that

Edit: just seen your other post, all good!

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:48 pm

Yamaha......

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:13 am

Are you only interested in those 2 sort of boats or open to suggestions on others?

Pdiddy24
Has liked: 49 times

Post by Pdiddy24 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:51 am

smile0784 wrote:Are you only interested in those 2 sort of boats or open to suggestions on others?
I am definitely open to other boat options. These are at the top of my list due to quality and warranties and storage size. What are your thoughts on other options?

Return to “Introductions”