Hello and seeking boat advice!

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
Pdiddy24
Has liked: 49 times

Hello and seeking boat advice!

Post by Pdiddy24 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi to all!

I've been following the forums and have finally decided to sign up. I live down in Gippsland and split my time fishing around Phillip Island, Inverloch and Corner Inlet (Port Welshpool and Yanakie). I have a 3.8m tinny with 25hp tiller steer, that has serviced me so well over the last 3 years since I bought it. I generally chase flatties, whiting and squid and have had some ok days on them. The beginning of this season I have had a go at targeting snapper including some night sessions off Rhyll and Cowes. Managed by first snapper, not a bomb, but I think it just counts over 50cm! haha. Yet to get a sized gummy but haven't had a decent crack at those yet.
On the choppier days and particularly at night I have to really watch the weather and any chance of it turning I head in as don't want to get caught out in a 12ft tinny on Westernport which brings me to researching a new boat. I have narrowed my search down to plate alloy boats under 5m. I do a lot of shallow water fishing but also want to have some confidence sitting out in the channels and bay entrances and even duck outside weather permitting. I think I've eliminated fibreglass as I will be shallow launching from a lot from dodey ramps and beach landings. I also fish solo most of the time so need something I can man handle a bit and be confident with. Also, garage storage is a factor and of course budget! So it brings me to the age old debate of what I've seen is the brands of Surtees and Stabicraft. I think I've eliminated Barcrusher from the list and Mclays (size and price), and Extreme (size and price). I have looked at the Surtees 495 Workmate and Stabicraft 1550 Fisher and I am impressed with both for different reasons. I was 90% sure on the Surtees 495 but having seen the Stabi I'm not so certain now. I've noted the following for each:

- Surtees hulls look better riding and other forums, reviews etc. suggest that.
- The rear work space appears to be better and less cluttered than the Stabi
- front visibility isn't great and the dash and cuddy are small compared to the Stabi
- the Stabi appears to have more float and will be better negotiating shallows and also more stable at rest.
- Stabi has a better cockpit and cuddy storage area. The back work space is a little tight and cluttered compared to the Surtees.
- Surtees have a 10 year warranty on their hulls. bit tick for me. Stabi only have 3 to 4.
- The Surtees look cool! Stabi look like a Lego spaceship.

I guess I'm just putting the feelers out there and particularly anyone who owns either of these boats just to get your thoughts. It's a 6-12 month thing for me so definitely open to other options that people are familiar with.
Also, on the calmer days are they capable and safe at all outside say around bay entrances be it just off the Prom or outside at San Remo near Woolamai?
Apologies for the essay and thank you all in advance.
cheers

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Hello and seeking boat advice!

Post by scott__henning » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:33 pm

Gday mate. I’ve got a 7m extreme, but if I was to get a boat under 5m for the sort of fishing you want to do, ya can’t go past those little surtees, they are awesome little boats!

You’ll be able to go out the front on nice days as well no problem.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:45 pm

Mate can’t really help you with plate alloy boats. I have a glass boat. But I’m sure on the calmer days you will be right out there. You obviously no how to read the weather and if you should head Out or not. I do agree with the look of Stabis is shocking but looks aren’t everything.

Pdiddy24

Post by Pdiddy24 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi Scott and thanks for the advice. I think I saw your extreme in another post on here and that's a serious boat! Very cool. I'll try and get a test ride in the Surtee over the next few months and I'll probably be all in then for the 495. They look a good setup.

And thanks Hosery. Can only push an old 12ft tinny so far but would like to have bit more comfort and safety to fish some more exposed spots hence looking for a step up. Cheers.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:58 pm

Are you pretty dead set on either? The Surtees looks like it would have absolutely HORRIBLE anchor access... especially if you are whiting fishing a lot and moving location often finding them. That would get very annoying for me very quickly, anchor winch would be a near compulsory. Cant really fault the Stabi besides the looks (all stabis are putrid to look at imo) obviously looks arent everything, but if I'm spending good money I want something that's aesthetically pleasing to me.

Have you considered any other brands? I know they are bulk manufactured (and have great sale figures for good reason) but I have a savage 485 bay cruiser and it's a he'll of a boat, obviously i pick my days but i fish offshore at kilcunda in it quite often too and feel more than safe even after the wind has picked up and I need to slug it home. It's not plate aluminium but it's not a pressed hull either, it'll still have a little more of a bashing ride in chop than these but I'm extremely confident in it's reliability. For the price you would pay for a premium brand you could get this, a bait board, rocket launchers, electric winch and custom snapper racks for the same price (but if money isn't a real issue then ignore everything I said and get the better hull.)

My cousin has the quintrex version which is the 480 coast runner and he swears by it and fishes offshore in it even more than I do including some bar crossings. Heard good things about stacers model to although their lack of an open gunwale (leaves the floor free of flotation foam) is not for me.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:33 pm

Kimtown wrote:Are you pretty dead set on either? The Surtees looks like it would have absolutely HORRIBLE anchor access... especially if you are whiting fishing a lot and moving location often finding them. That would get very annoying for me very quickly, anchor winch would be a near compulsory. Cant really fault the Stabi besides the looks (all stabis are putrid to look at imo) obviously looks arent everything, but if I'm spending good money I want something that's aesthetically pleasing to me.

Have you considered any other brands? I know they are bulk manufactured (and have great sale figures for good reason) but I have a savage 485 bay cruiser and it's a he'll of a boat, obviously i pick my days but i fish offshore at kilcunda in it quite often too and feel more than safe even after the wind has picked up and I need to slug it home. It's not plate aluminium but it's not a pressed hull either, it'll still have a little more of a bashing ride in chop than these but I'm extremely confident in it's reliability. For the price you would pay for a premium brand you could get this, a bait board, rocket launchers, electric winch and custom snapper racks for the same price (but if money isn't a real issue then ignore everything I said and get the better hull.)

My cousin has the quintrex version which is the 480 coast runner and he swears by it and fishes offshore in it even more than I do including some bar crossings. Heard good things about stacers model to although their lack of an open gunwale (leaves the floor free of flotation foam) is not for me.
I currently have a 530 quintrex coast runner, and had a 455 coast runner for nearly a decade before that. Been out in them hundreds of times, and in some pretty ordinary weather. Having said all that, I have never fished out of a plate boat so dont know how they compare. I am sure they are both great boats, but I am pretty happy with the Quinny. I reckon it would be a lot rougher ride than the plate options however.

Pdiddy24

Post by Pdiddy24 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:43 pm

Hi Kimtown. Before I checked them out in the boatyard having only read reviews and videos etc. I was dead set on the Surtees. And as you have said when I saw the Surtees in person and had a climb around the main negative I had was the upfront dash space, small windscreen, smaller cuddy space and the front access to the anchor. I'm reasonably tall so it is definitely a consideration to go to the Stabi for this reason. Getting out on beach landings and stuff like that would be much easier with the Stabi. The Stabi had a much better bow access and visibility with the wide lift window. I would be considering the anchor winch on the Surtee forsure because of this but they are a costly addition and maybe something I could look towards down the track or even source from somewhere cheaper than what the dealer can provide. I've never used one or seen an anchor winch in action either but I reckon noise in the shallows is not ideal or impact on battery and stuff like that I'll need to have a look at and get better understanding of. The only other thing that went against the stabi was that it is touch longer on trailer. Trying to keep it all (trailer and boat) under 6m which I think the Surtees did just.

Yeah I've had a quick look online only at the quintrex models (not savage yet but will now on your advice) and agree that you get a lot more, particlary the extras, for less dollars and would do the job for sure. My only concern is the hull quality and the short warranties on them and just some forum reviews and problems experienced with the hulls. There appears to be little question about the hull quality in the Surtees. I'm kind of happy to for go the extra kit immediately for the peace of mind of a good hull and reliable motor. I try to keep things pretty simple and will help keep package costs down. I'm definitely going to have a look at those models you have suggested and check them out in person just to see alternatives in more detail. That's pretty awesome to hear what you can do with yours.

The next question will be motor choice and HP for it??

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:48 pm

That's cool mate just throwing out some options. If hull reliability and ride is a big factor to you then definitely spend your money on the stronger hull. It makes sense.

As for the electric anchor, after having owned one I'll never go back to a manual anchor. Can't put a price on a healthy back long term imo. But each to their own.

As for your motor, Yamaha or Suzuki 4 banger.... hands down. Whatever is more local to you for ease of service. You will not regret it.

From memory when I was looking around, Yamaha = lightest in the class, Suzuki = most economical. I'm bias but I say get a Suzuki if both dealerships are in similar locations... runs off the smell of an oily rag and looks much sharper too!!! (That red on black)
FWIW the suzuki 90 is just a re-mapped 70 (same engine capacity I'm lead to believe) so I went with the 70 and if I ever desired more power I would just tune it (I never will). I think a 70 on any alloy boat that size would be suffice but a 90 wouldn't hurt either lol

Pdiddy24

Post by Pdiddy24 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:00 pm

Thanks for the advice and comments too. Really appreciate it and will give me something more to go on while I'm still in early stages of looking. haha true on saving on chiropractor bills down the track. Winch it is!

And thanks Scraglor I'll be looking at some of the Quinnies to keep in mind and as a comparison. I have mates that have owned Quinnies no problems at all so will be hitting them up as well

Pdiddy24

Post by Pdiddy24 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Kimtown wrote:That's cool mate just throwing out some options. If hull reliability and ride is a big factor to you then definitely spend your money on the stronger hull. It makes sense.

As for the electric anchor, after having owned one I'll never go back to a manual anchor. Can't put a price on a healthy back long term imo. But each to their own.

As for your motor, Yamaha or Suzuki 4 banger.... hands down. Whatever is more local to you for ease of service. You will not regret it.

From memory when I was looking around, Yamaha = lightest in the class, Suzuki = most economical. I'm bias but I say get a Suzuki if both dealerships are in similar locations... runs off the smell of an oily rag and looks much sharper too!!! (That red on black)
FWIW the suzuki 90 is just a re-mapped 70 (same engine capacity I'm lead to believe) so I went with the 70 and if I ever desired more power I would just tune it (I never will). I think a 70 on any alloy boat that size would be suffice but a 90 wouldn't hurt either lol
Just saw your section on the motor advice. I will look at both of those. I think the basic package is pushing either Honda 60hp and Yamaha 60hp from the dealership. The Suzukis do look sick and that is good to know about the capacity for them too. I'd be flat out hanging on with a 90! haha. I fish mostly solo and wouldn't be heading out in cyclones so will be looking at the 60-70s. I know nothing about outboard motors but from what I've read and pub talk with mates, Suzukis and Yamaha seem to have better reputations than the Hondas. Inverloch marine would be my closest which I think is a Yamaha dealership and service centre.

Return to “Introductions”