Advice welcome

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
yearoftheroos

Advice welcome

Post by yearoftheroos » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:26 pm

Hi there.

A little about myself and my fishing journey. I have recently rediscovered a passion for fishing and have successfully introduced my 7 year old to the game. By successful I mean that he loves it however the poor kid is yet to catch a fish and neither have I since we started this journey together :oops: . I spent all my early years fishing from boats and have very limited knowledge about land based fishing. My son loves using lures as the casting and retrieving keeps him occupied. We are heading to Lake Eppalock in 2 weeks for a camping trip and to Eildon in January for 8 days. We have also fished Karkarook park several times and I am planning to go to Mordialloc peer next weekend.

AS a last resort I will take him to the trout farm at Eildon but surely it won't come to that.

I will be grateful for any and all advice.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Re: Advice welcome

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:47 pm

My suggestion to heighten the chances of getting your son onto something is to set up a bait rod as well (with bells so you can walk around + the excitement and shock you will get on your first enquiry).

For karkarook I'm pretty sure I gave advice on a karkarook thread recently for powerbait setup that works but it's slower fishing if it's a month past the school holidays stockings.

Eildon I'd cast out a worm (preferably a big scrubby) and if you can try and find a spot where there is a tree in the water 15-20ft+ out from the shoreline. If you can cast to structure in some depth (8+ ft) there In most instances you are almost guaranteed a carp with a potential look into reddies, yellowbelly or cod. Good luck

blakesirus

Post by blakesirus » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:08 pm

never fished any of those, but what`s lures have u been throwing + what set up are u using?

Cheers,
Blake

yearoftheroos

Post by yearoftheroos » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:16 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:My suggestion to heighten the chances of getting your son onto something is to set up a bait rod as well (with bells so you can walk around + the excitement and shock you will get on your first enquiry).

For karkarook I'm pretty sure I gave advice on a karkarook thread recently for powerbait setup that works but it's slower fishing if it's a month past the school holidays stockings.

Eildon I'd cast out a worm (preferably a big scrubby) and if you can try and find a spot where there is a tree in the water 15-20ft+ out from the shoreline. If you can cast to structure in some depth (8+ ft) there In most instances you are almost guaranteed a carp with a potential look into reddies, yellowbelly or cod. Good luck
Thanks I read your advice about Karkarook. Will give that a go.

I fished the pondage last year at Eildon with a bait from the trout farm made from crushed pellets. That was the advice from the guy at the campsite. What kind of rig would you suggest with the worms?

yearoftheroos

Post by yearoftheroos » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:21 pm

blakesirus wrote:never fished any of those, but what`s lures have u been throwing + what set up are u using?

Cheers,
Blake
Tried a few, soft plastics on a jig head but he seems to like reeling it straight back rather than lift and letting it sink. We used some stump jumpers and hard lures with diving lips, and some metal lures that wobble through the water that I found in my tackle box

blakesirus

Post by blakesirus » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:01 pm

yearoftheroos wrote:
blakesirus wrote:never fished any of those, but what`s lures have u been throwing + what set up are u using?

Cheers,
Blake
Tried a few, soft plastics on a jig head but he seems to like reeling it straight back rather than lift and letting it sink. We used some stump jumpers and hard lures with diving lips, and some metal lures that wobble through the water that I found in my tackle box
hmm maybe try tassie devils? rly cheap and work quite well on trout, v colourful, versatile and available from Kmart.

Best of luck and Cheers!
Blake

yearoftheroos

Post by yearoftheroos » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:42 am

blakesirus wrote:
yearoftheroos wrote:

Cheers,
Blake
hmm maybe try tassie devils? rly cheap and work quite well on trout, v colourful, versatile and available from Kmart.

Best of luck and Cheers!
Blake
Thanks mate much appreciated

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:59 am

Never discount the trout farm for kids! I have very fond memories from when i was a kid.

When my Old man was starting us off fishing we didn't do well on a few trips and to keep us interested in fishing he took us there. He got us catching trout and was unhooking them for us. Because my dad was very clumsy and had slippery hands on the day most of them went back in ;)

Get him some 1/4 or 1/8 ounce jig heads and some wriggle tails and some paddle tails. The cost of a plastic and jig head would be about a dollar and he will have a ball playing with the plastics, learning how to rig them and catching fish on them.

Cheers, Anth

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:12 am

yearoftheroos wrote:
happyfriggincamper wrote:My suggestion to heighten the chances of getting your son onto something is to set up a bait rod as well (with bells so you can walk around + the excitement and shock you will get on your first enquiry).

Thanks I read your advice about Karkarook. Will give that a go.

I fished the pondage last year at Eildon with a bait from the trout farm made from crushed pellets. That was the advice from the guy at the campsite. What kind of rig would you suggest with the worms?
The same karkarook powerbait method works in the Eildon pondage. The rig (running sinker w/swivel - 30-50cm distance between swivel and hook) is also the same for Lake Eildon - only significant difference would be hook size (little finger fingernail size for powerbait, something bigger for the worm). The crushed pellets work (due to the trout being conditioned to go nuts over brown pellets), but you can get floating versions which I would opt for. The crushed pellet would sit on the bottom where as the floating version you can have hovering just off the bottom or over a weed bed.

Never fished eppalock but the same methods would work.

fishing_minnow

Post by fishing_minnow » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:18 pm

I technically live in Karkarook lake and please give me a heads up if you see me! (small Japanese dude with a yellow or red cap) If you just want to catch trout without much effort, a running sinker with a small sinker and a size 10 hook has worked extremely well for me. The baits I used to use was Berkley Gulp! Alive Salmon Eggs. Compleat Angler should have it. If you want to fish with lures, try a Rapala floating minnow, a small spoon or tassie devil. Anything should work although I haven't recently caught any on spinners. Also, go at dusk as that's when the fishing fires up. For Mordialloc, if you just want your 7-year-old to just have fun to catch fish, I suppose you could just catch puffer fish all day (fish on the bottom). (There are plenty of bait stealers there) Good luck if you do go. I am a 13-year-old myself so I can't give you professional advice but this is the knowledge I have at the moment and I would love to share it with you. PS I think Squidgies should work well because they caught me my first bream! I use 1/16 oz or even less because I just drop them in around the pylons.

Return to “Introductions”