Advice welcome

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
willow17

Re: Advice welcome

Post by willow17 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:42 pm

Hey mate, just wondering where about's at Eildon you are planning on fishing? the lake or pondage?
Lake Eildon
Carp are always plentiful and pretty easy to catch especially in the summer months plus they give a good fight. Houseboat marinas if you have access or from the shore produce just as well as a boat. Structure like most fishing normally produces the best results so look for some dead trees or logs in the water and target casts around the vicinity. Also Houseboat marinas themselves tend to hold good numbers of carp just make sure to bring bread and burley, carp shouldn't take too long to come in and if there is no signs of carp eating the bread move on.
Low light times are the best and carp can often be seen swimming on the surface at these times. but you can also get them throughout the day. Both a float and bottom bashing can produce fish and worth having both set ups out.
Bait
Worms are generally a pretty good bet and you are a chance of getting species like redfin, trout, cod and yellow-belly.
For some reason i have head really good sessions on Carp using Cheese on the bottom. Normally run just a simple sliding sinker (using low weight but enough to cast out) and a circle hook.
Corn
Bread
Also cocktail baits like a combination of cheese and worm. or bread and worm can be a good idea.

I hope you and your young fella get into some fish soon.

Desperate Guy

Post by Desperate Guy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:58 pm

fishing_minnow wrote:I technically live in Karkarook lake and please give me a heads up if you see me! (small Japanese dude with a yellow or red cap) If you just want to catch trout without much effort, a running sinker with a small sinker and a size 10 hook has worked extremely well for me. The baits I used to use was Berkley Gulp! Alive Salmon Eggs. Compleat Angler should have it. If you want to fish with lures, try a Rapala floating minnow, a small spoon or tassie devil. Anything should work although I haven't recently caught any on spinners. Also, go at dusk as that's when the fishing fires up. For Mordialloc, if you just want your 7-year-old to just have fun to catch fish, I suppose you could just catch puffer fish all day (fish on the bottom). (There are plenty of bait stealers there) Good luck if you do go. I am a 13-year-old myself so I can't give you professional advice but this is the knowledge I have at the moment and I would love to share it with you. PS I think Squidgies should work well because they caught me my first bream! I use 1/16 oz or even less because I just drop them in around the pylons.
Haha once me and my mate were such desperate fishos we went to the creek at Mordialloc specifically for puffers. I have this extremely light and thin 5m pole rod from China and the smallest toadies feel like trucks on the end of it(ok maybe not) and we caught tens and had a bit of fun.

Bring some float rigs in case the asians are smashing the mullet in the creek(although it’s not happening as often as a few months ago). Definitely pack some slugs or plastics in case of a salmon school. Garfish may be your best bet(fish past the little hut on the pier over the rails), every time I go there there seem to be fishos catching them. If you want to use catch other stuff this dude fishing at the end of the other side of the creek into the sea said there is some hole that fish tend to gather in and he has had luck in. Some chook pellets and tuna oil will probably help in fishing close from the pier or off the creek. Definitely check out Google Earth to look for the reefs.

Best of luck, Andy :cheers:

yearoftheroos

Post by yearoftheroos » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:56 am

fishing_minnow wrote:I technically live in Karkarook lake and please give me a heads up if you see me! (small Japanese dude with a yellow or red cap) If you just want to catch trout without much effort, a running sinker with a small sinker and a size 10 hook has worked extremely well for me. The baits I used to use was Berkley Gulp! Alive Salmon Eggs. Compleat Angler should have it. If you want to fish with lures, try a Rapala floating minnow, a small spoon or tassie devil. Anything should work although I haven't recently caught any on spinners. Also, go at dusk as that's when the fishing fires up. For Mordialloc, if you just want your 7-year-old to just have fun to catch fish, I suppose you could just catch puffer fish all day (fish on the bottom). (There are plenty of bait stealers there) Good luck if you do go. I am a 13-year-old myself so I can't give you professional advice but this is the knowledge I have at the moment and I would love to share it with you. PS I think Squidgies should work well because they caught me my first bream! I use 1/16 oz or even less because I just drop them in around the pylons.
Thanks mate will definitely say hi if I see you.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:44 pm

Gary Constantine seems to report the same thing constantly for Eildon pondage-- powerbait--
And trolled tassie devils in the weir.
Worms & yabbies as bait

Gra

yearoftheroos

Post by yearoftheroos » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:02 pm

willow17 wrote:Hey mate, just wondering where about's at Eildon you are planning on fishing? the lake or pondage?
Lake Eildon
Carp are always plentiful and pretty easy to catch especially in the summer months plus they give a good fight. Houseboat marinas if you have access or from the shore produce just as well as a boat. Structure like most fishing normally produces the best results so look for some dead trees or logs in the water and target casts around the vicinity. Also Houseboat marinas themselves tend to hold good numbers of carp just make sure to bring bread and burley, carp shouldn't take too long to come in and if there is no signs of carp eating the bread move on.
Low light times are the best and carp can often be seen swimming on the surface at these times. but you can also get them throughout the day. Both a float and bottom bashing can produce fish and worth having both set ups out.
Bait
Worms are generally a pretty good bet and you are a chance of getting species like redfin, trout, cod and yellow-belly.
For some reason i have head really good sessions on Carp using Cheese on the bottom. Normally run just a simple sliding sinker (using low weight but enough to cast out) and a circle hook.
Corn
Bread
Also cocktail baits like a combination of cheese and worm. or bread and worm can be a good idea.

I hope you and your young fella get into some fish soon.
Last year we just fished the pondage but we might give the lake a go as well this year. We will probably spend 3 or 4 days out there as its only about 15 minutes away from the campsite.
Thanks for the advice

Return to “Introductions”