How to learn fishing?

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
pixelord

How to learn fishing?

Post by pixelord » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:22 pm

Hello,

This is Mahmud.
I have been always fascinated about fishing and watching people catch beautiful fishes near the bay area in Melbourne.
I have never tried fishing by myself and very interested to try soon.

I was wondering if there is any fishing club around melbourne who conduct introductory fishing courses.
I was thinking, it would be great to have some one experienced giving me some introductory knowledge about the gear and techniques.
Also, if there is a course that give hand o experience for beginners?

Thanks.

GONE FISHING

Re: How to learn fishing?

Post by GONE FISHING » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:42 pm

Hey mate, welcome :)

Fishing is something you could learn the basics quickly but as the saying goes "quick learn, but a lifetime to master".

One of the best ways to learn is reading, and then practising.

You will need the basic gear such as rod, reel, sinker, swivel, hook and learn a couple of knots.

Get out there, head to some piers with some bait (try some squid and pilchard they are relatively safe choices for quite a few species in Melbourne) and talk to people.

Fish early mornings or afternoon/evenings. If you see someone else fishing there, ask them a question. Im sure most will be happy to give you some tips.

Be prepared to be frustrated and disappointed in the beginning as that is the nature of fishing but when you do catch that fish, it will be a rewarding and will challenge you to do it again.

It took me about 5 trips before I caught my first fish when I started fishing off piers. I now fish off a kayak so it's a little different but principle remains the same.

Goodluck mate and hope you enjoy.

Stay safe!

:water:

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:55 pm

Hey mate welcome to the site and the sport! Best thing to do is buy a cheap rod combo and tackle pack and watch YouTube for tying knot

As gone fishing mentioned basics are quite easy to pick up and persistence is the key to success saying that even great fishermen don't always catch fish!

Good luck n enjoy!!
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Fishomicko

Post by Fishomicko » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:09 pm

Hey mate best thing to do if you want to learn to fish is get a rod in the water every time u fish you'll learn something and the people at the local tackle shop would be able to give u a few tips

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:36 pm

I learned to fish from scratch within the last year, you need to devote a fair bit of time to it but I reckon it's worth it. You don't need to join a club in my opinion, but I guess people learn differently and maybe that is what works best for you. As far as I know there aren't any courses in fishing, but going on a fishing charter will teach you a lot. Alternatively, become an active member of the community here and if you seem like a decent bloke an opportunity to go fishing with another member might come up which is a great way to learn because there are some bloody good fishermen here.

I'd recommend getting the landbased guides for Westernport and Port Phillip, they're only $10 each and have A LOT of really good information. Probably the best investments for someone new to fishing.

Then I'd suggest picking a target species to begin with and start researching how to catch them - locations, times, equipment, baits etc. Choosing just one species will help because there is sooo much information out there it can be easy to get overwhelmed. Your target and location will determine what gear you will want to buy.

The forums are a great resource, you can search through old posts using google (site:fishing-victoria.com [insert topic]... e.g. https://www.google.com.au/search?btnG=1 ... mwXv3a6ACg# ) to get heaps of info. You can use the 'site:' function to use google to search through other websites as well, it can be a lot easier than using their built-in search bars.

The very best bit of advice I think is try to get your head around the idea of 'structure' and how to find it. Fish like to hang out around structure so fishing in those places will see you catch a lot more fish than people who just try and cast as far as possible.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:48 pm

Hi there and welcome to the forum!!!
Fishing is a funny thing... Even after many many years of fishing myself I'm still always learning new things. Start by learning the very basics and targeting the bread and butter species such as mullet/ garfish. Learn how to make simple rigs and knots :)
Watch what other people do.
There are plenty of awesome anglers on this forum :-D

Kev209

Post by Kev209 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:36 pm

:welcome2: To FV :welcome2: Happy fishing

TrevKing

Post by TrevKing » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:56 pm

As others said the more you fish the more you will learn, one of my favourite things about fishing is that every species requires knowledge on unique locations, techniques, times ect. to be able to catch them consistently.

The first step would be to pick up a bit of gear, any cheap combo will do for starters but best off going to a proper tackle store and asking them to set you up rather than a place like Kmart because they'll have the knowledge on what kind of combo and gear you'll need for the fishing in your area. A lot of the time fishing too light or too heavy can effect your chances of catching fish.

A great starter rod and reel is a Shimano Sonic Pro 2-4kg rod with a size 2500 Shimano Sienna reel.

I learnt to fish by spinning small lures for redfin around Ballarat, took me a few sessions before I actually got on to a fish but keep persisting and trying new things and the hard work always pays off.

Keep learning new knots/rigs as you go and you'll quickly find the ones that suit you, and different styles of fishing, the best.

Not sure on your exact location but theres heaps of members on here that fish Melbourne, so you should find plenty of info on this website.

pixelord

Post by pixelord » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:02 pm

Wow, lots of awesome and important information guys!
Thanks!

fshtim

Post by fshtim » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:26 pm

welcome to the forum
P.B. flathead 43 cm, whiting 30 cm, snapper 40 cm,

Fishing Victoria Species Comp 16/17 Total: 40 cm
salt: 40 cm
fresh:

Return to “Introductions”