IT'S TIME TO END COMMERCIAL NETTING OF FISH IN THE GIPPSLAND LAKES

News and info about the Fishing Victoria site.
re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Re: IT'S TIME TO END COMMERCIAL NETTING OF FISH IN THE GIPPSLAND LAKES

Post by re-tyred » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:31 pm

One more thing. When the discussion turns to environmental issues, of which there are many. The depth of the entrance bar is put fwd. It is a fact that spawning of bream takes place in specific salt levels and the levels in the lake have gone above it. However the flow of water in and out of the lake is not changed by the depth of the entrance bar. It is totally a factor of the entrance channel cross section area. I.e. the distance between the rock groins and the depth of that channel. The reason for a saltier system than 50 years ago is directly due to us humans using the water from the rivers
Every town and every farm sucks up the fresh water and only a small percentage now reaches our estuaries. To add to this the water that does get there is loaded with nutrients from farms and streets and we have destroyed the filters systems, wetland and scrub, that it used to flow through.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:45 pm

Why does everyone seem to think the dude is a greenie?

Everything he posted seemed more in line with what a frustrated protein collector would say, especially the bit about double bag limits and removal of gear restrictions for 'subsistence fishing'
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:50 pm

Aren't the arguments for closing off commercial fishing in the lakes the same as those put forward for ending netting in PPB? If the arguments for ending netting in PPB were sound enough for almost the entire forum to get behind then why isn't everyone getting behind this idea?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:05 pm

4liters wrote:Aren't the arguments for closing off commercial fishing in the lakes the same as those put forward for ending netting in PPB? If the arguments for ending netting in PPB were sound enough for almost the entire forum to get behind then why isn't everyone getting behind this idea?
Thats an interesting point the push to removal netting in PPB and Westernport yet not the Gippy Lakes. Would be a good debate for those for and against. Think re tyred posted a reasonable argument for maintaining commercial harvests.

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:12 pm

re-tyred wrote:I have to say this whole campaign is a misinformed load of tripe. It will most probably end in the lakes closed for commercial fishing and then to the dismay of the campaigners no change to bream catches. Then you will have wasted many years and destroyed the lives of 10 fishers for no gain. Address the environment and you will address the problem. If you think too many bream are taken then the best way to fix that is reduce the rec bag limit. As it is rec fishers that take the most. In fact you would need to reduce it to two to then equal the commercial take
having read & watched the way the "no netters" campaign has been staged, it appears they have no substantial science to stop the netters and block anything else that is put forward by the netters. I asked the question at the VFA Dusky day in Lakes Entrance if they would/could consider better management of slot size limits or even a closed season on some fish species. I was shot down by some of the panel, however there was support from a commercial netter in the room.

Banning commercial netting sounds great, however Re-tyred has some great wisdom and practicality to something that requires far more science to achieve a better managed fishery and not just shoot from the hip opinions.
quid est quod eum

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:31 pm

Ratbag had it in one comment "a better managed fishery" like with anything in life poor management and bad decisions have lifetime effects just as having great people who understand and look at things from all sides and making the right decisions. Personally with a totally unbiased opinion there will never be a correct course of action when you have so many groups with different agendas and when all of them think they are right and won't give an inch then it will just end in disaster and everyone will blame each other. The only solution is compromise :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:47 pm

ratbag wrote:I asked the question at the VFA Dusky day in Lakes Entrance if they would/could consider better management of slot size limits or even a closed season on some fish species. I was shot down by some of the panel, however there was support from a commercial netter in the room.
What is lost in the middle of it all is pros don't want a destroyed fishery at all ever. It's the one thing that generates income for them so why would they wantonly destroy it?

And 4liters I have a very simple reason for the difference. How many in the forum regularly fish PPB and live nearby? Now count how many live and regularly fish within the Gippsland Lakes system? I'd say minimum 10-1 metro and there in lies your reason. Sight unseen for one, and a respected local member with intimate knowledge of both sides of the spectrum shouting it down immediately. Neither closure is warranted, sheer weight of ignorant numbers and votes seen PPB closed but isn't enough votes in it for Gippsland

WHWoz

Post by WHWoz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:34 pm

I don't often make comments here, simply because I am mostly not in a position to do so easily, but one thing that all need to bear in mid when dealing with the Gippsland Lakes, particularly the western end is the increasing likely hood of some measure of Mercury contamination from the old chlorine generating cells at APM Maryvale. These have long been de-commisioned however they were well known for ability to leak and I understand that contaminated sediments are moving down the Latrobe River. Unfortunately I am no longer in a position to hear how far these sediments have move or how badly they are contaminated and are affecting the aquatic life within the Lakes system. I shall keep trying to find out but my options are limited at the moment. Best case is they have no affect on the fishery, worst would be total closure to meat fishing, with the middle ground being restrictions on the keeping of residential species like bream, but with no restriction on species that come into the lake seasonally.

Woz

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:56 am

Couple of points. Fish in the lakes are regularly tested for mercury. The longer living fish such as bream have higher levels than short lived species such Taylor, however the levels are no greater than , shark, Tuna and many other species.
The main man made source of mercury is from the old gold mining days when gold was separated using mercury flotation. The thing about mercury is left undisturbed it works it's way down in the sediment. I the sediment is left alone then the mercury stays out of the system. When dredging is done in the lake , core samples are taken prior to the work. If any mercury or other nasty stuff is found then an EPA permit is not issued. To date no mercury has been found in samples.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:30 am

That’s good to hear :thumbsup:

Return to “Announcements”