scallop fishery

News and info about the Fishing Victoria site.
sandef
Has liked: 54 times

scallop fishery

Post by sandef » Tue May 05, 2015 4:42 pm

there is proposal to increase the catch to 725tons from the current 12 tons heres the link
https://www.change.org/p/victorian-mini ... tion&utm_m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
LRJtuOPhASRnphC-800x450-noPad.jpg
LRJtuOPhASRnphC-800x450-noPad.jpg (79.92 KiB) Viewed 1952 times

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Re: scallop fishery

Post by BIG GAV » Tue May 05, 2015 5:11 pm

just a slight increase.... 0.0
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Kev209

Might interest the salt water fishos

Post by Kev209 » Tue May 05, 2015 5:56 pm

Mod edit. 2 different threads regarding same subject merged.

Port Phillip Bay’s recreational anglers face a devastating demise in their fishery if plans go ahead to increase the annual PPB commercial harvest of scallops from 12 tonnes to 725 tonnes.

Help us petition to ban commercial scallop harvesting in Port Phillip Bay and buy back the single existing licence issued by the previous Victorian Government in 2014.

https://www.change.org/p/victorian-mini ... tion&utm_m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FFF

http://www.futurefish.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue May 05, 2015 6:39 pm

Was scallop fishing not part of the plan to not renew licences for the bay?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue May 05, 2015 9:13 pm

Signed it
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed May 06, 2015 5:04 am

F them off also with all the rest of the pro fisherman in the bay
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Wed May 06, 2015 6:21 am

Oh dear me, the article is very emotive. First the picture of the boat is a North Sea (that bit near England) scallop trawler. Such boats have never been used in Australia. To my knowledge there is NO proposal to lets scallop dredgers back in the bay. I don't see a big issue with hand harvest of scallops to a certain degree, but it does seem like a rather silly thing to be doing when there are plenty of scallops in Bass Straight that can be dredged. Problem there is fisheries try and micro manage the industry and have made it unprofitable on a long term basis. If the Bass Straight industry was given better management then it would simply be unprofitable to hand harvest in the Bay. Lastly 12 tonne or 750 tonnes is a fraction of what used to come out of the bay. I find it hard to believe a single hand harvest operation could get 750 tonne a year. That is more than 2 tonne a day every day of the year. Awful lot of scallops to pick up by hand while diving. I think a little more research into this article will reveal some bending of the truth.
The real issue with scallop dredging in the bay is more about constantly digging up the bottom and stopping weed and sponge growing. This effects fish habitat. The snapper fishing will have improved since the ceasing of dredging due to the bottom returning to it's natural state.. Interestingly and nothing to do with this article. The snapper fishing off Lakes Entrance has improved dramatically since the collapse of the School whiting trawling on the grounds near the snapper reefs.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed May 06, 2015 8:15 am

re-tyred wrote:Oh dear me, the article is very emotive. First the picture of the boat is a North Sea (that bit near England) scallop trawler. Such boats have never been used in Australia. To my knowledge there is NO proposal to lets scallop dredgers back in the bay. I don't see a big issue with hand harvest of scallops to a certain degree, but it does seem like a rather silly thing to be doing when there are plenty of scallops in Bass Straight that can be dredged. Problem there is fisheries try and micro manage the industry and have made it unprofitable on a long term basis. If the Bass Straight industry was given better management then it would simply be unprofitable to hand harvest in the Bay. Lastly 12 tonne or 750 tonnes is a fraction of what used to come out of the bay. I find it hard to believe a single hand harvest operation could get 750 tonne a year. That is more than 2 tonne a day every day of the year. Awful lot of scallops to pick up by hand while diving. I think a little more research into this article will reveal some bending of the truth.
The real issue with scallop dredging in the bay is more about constantly digging up the bottom and stopping weed and sponge growing. This effects fish habitat. The snapper fishing will have improved since the ceasing of dredging due to the bottom returning to it's natural state.. Interestingly and nothing to do with this article. The snapper fishing off Lakes Entrance has improved dramatically since the collapse of the School whiting trawling on the grounds near the snapper reefs.
always good to get some perspective on the matter.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed May 06, 2015 10:55 am

Interesting abt the lakes fishing improving
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Wed May 06, 2015 12:33 pm

barra mick wrote:Interesting abt the lakes fishing improving
School whiting are a large part of the diet of snapper. There are large quantities but the major fisheries for them around Lakes Entrance was right next to the main snapper reefs. So I am guessing it reduced the food on the local reefs and the snapper moved to the reefs further to the west were whiting fishing wasn't done. These reefs extend all the way to Port Welshpool and are too far for recreational fishers to get to from Lakes. 5-6 years without the whiting fishery and they are back on the local reefs. The school whiting fishery collapsed due to the Japanese market no longer being profitable. Since then AMSA have reduced the quota , because it wasn't being caught?? So even with a good market it will never return to the quantities of 1970-2000 years.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Announcements”