Interesting Night

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
JS270
Has liked: 1 time

Interesting Night

Post by JS270 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:47 pm

It was good to get out last night with one of the young guys who has taken up fishing recently and head down to the coast in the hope of getting a few fish. Initial plan was to head down to 13th beach in the hope of picking up a few snapper though that wasn't to be as Allan had beaded down earlier and advised that the weed would be a problem.

( Allan & Nick at Fairhaven )

Therefore we decided to head down to Fairhaven in the hope of picking up a some Salmon and as the night progressed a Gummy or School shark. Baits were simple with slated whitevait , Bluebait and Squid being the main items. Our plan was to catcha few Salmon and use them as baits for the sharks later in the evening.

Iwas Nick's first time fishing the beach and it was good to see him casting with the Daiwa Exceller and the rod that Mick S had kindly donated to him. Nick was hopeful of getting his first fish as he was still to open the scorecard.

(Nick hopefull that he will get a fish on this outing )

As it turned out the fishing was near no existent and other than crabs taking Allan's and Nick's baits . Interetingly I was sending one bait out back past the back breaker and it didn't get touched by any crabs at all.

One interesting little item that we did see on the beach was a small scorpion that I noticed as we were fishing. It would prove to be a very unpleasant visitor if one decided to have a sleep on the beach or even just sitting on the sand.

( Our little visitor )

( It was a bit of a supprise seeing this little guy on the beach )

It was after this distraction that Nick was pleasantly supprised to see his rod load over and register hopefully his first ever fish. There was a little bit of worry for Nick at the initial stage as the fish ran in with him and he lost contact with it in the surf. Thankfully he was using a circle hook that had the fish pinned nicely .

( Not big but the first is alway a great feeling )

As I had work the next morning we had to call it quits shortly after the fish and headed back to Melbourne though it had still been a great way of spening an evening.

Regards :fishing:

borntofish

Re: Interesting Night

Post by borntofish » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:45 am

nice pics, shame about the fishing, everyones saying the beaches are slow at present. mates have been down golden beach for a week, 2 fish landed between 7 blokes. atleast nick got a fish, wasn't a total loss!
You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:22 am

Nice report, where do you get the tri pods from?

JS270

Post by JS270 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:37 am

In regards to the tripods I got mine from the UK though postage from there is more than the units themselves.

One of the guys in the club makes up a heavy duty model with adjustable legs and all stainless and aluminium fittings though you can also get a lighter weight unit though another ex. club member that source the parts from the UK and assembles them here.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:40 pm

Nice report even if the fishing was slow. A 'country boy' like me who spends a lot of time fishing irrigation channels looks at your pictures with fascination! I guess you take it for granted but - the fantastic beaches.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

JS270

Post by JS270 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:39 pm

Jim ,

I never take the beaches and fishing for granted and thank my luck that I can get out and enjoy it each and every time.

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:38 pm

JS270 wrote:Jim ,

I never take the beaches and fishing for granted and thank my luck that I can get out and enjoy it each and every time.

Same here mate..I open the blinds in the morning and look out over the bay, (I live in Rye)...consider myself very, very lucky...especially having grown up in the north east of england...seems like a different universe now...
Carl..

Return to “Surf Fishing”