Distance casting - October Results

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
JS270
Has liked: 1 time

Distance casting - October Results

Post by JS270 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:38 am

Well after a very rough start to the weekend where we saw a number of people unable to attend due to illness, work, domestic responsibilities and concern about the field and weather a few brave souls decided that come hell or high water we would present on the field to see if we could beat our own pb'S and also try and knock off a few mates as well.

The Saturday was to be a friendly practice session but with torrential rain , cold southerly wind and very muddy field conditions proved discretion was the better part of valour and we elected to head back to the caravan Park and put a few of the rods together in preparation for the Sunday which was the official day of the comp.
Gary Bonner like Mick Smajkic had opted for an E1000, Gary's being 13'10" and running a reducer to allow him to cast it at a longer length but be more manageable with the thinner reducer. Jason had opted for the Kompressor SS, though as he hadn't done much work with it opted to cast with his Tip Tornado Sport on the Sunday.

Well the Sunday couldn't have been more different, though the cold south easterly wind did make it mandatory for the guys to wear good jackets or run the risk of freezing parts of the anatomy off. The Sun however was shinning and if you could get out of the wind it was quite pleasant.
We did have one obstacle to content with though in the form of a number of cattle that had mist being mustered the day earlier by the farmer so it necessitated a three pronged effort with Gary and Jason in one car and I in another herding the cattle toward the gate which was manned by Nick, after a bit of fun we managed to get them all sorted and the casting could commence.

As you will see from the table of results the distances put down by the guys was nothing short of brilliant with repeated PB's from most of them and some massive distances by Scott who was on form and sending the leads down field to great effect. Scott was using both the E1000 at its full length and also the WR300 @ 14'6". It was great to see the rods load up and Scott's skill with the rod was something to see.

However I must say that the stand out performer on the day must go to your Mick Smajkic who hit repeated PB's and it was a testament to the amount of practice that he has put in lead up to the comp. Mick was using his E1000 (13’6”) I believe for the majority of the time but also had a few throws with the TT Sport.

Sadly I don't have any video footage of the event to share but will be posting up some photos that I took in between casts, Here are the overall results. Great bunch of people, great friendship and a brilliant way to spend a day in the sun.

Details Remain the Copy right of the ASF

:D

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Distance casting - October Results

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:43 am

are the numbers in inches or centimeters? :lolf:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

hangsta*

Post by hangsta* » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:43 pm

i'm sure even you could cast 266 inches fish

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:06 pm

One day I might manage at least 150 metres.

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:46 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:One day I might manage at least 150 metres.
Yes I think you can, put you on Steriods for about 6 months and get you some leasons with Jeremy, then there would be nothing stopping you.
BUt really now, if the fish I wanted to catch were that far out, I would probably take my boat out good god can you imagine if the fish you hooked took you on a big run :shock: :shock:.

No really, I cant talk becasue when I was into surf fishing before I hurt my back, I had over 1,000 yards of braid on the reels :r :r :r

cheers
Nick

Return to “Surf Fishing”