Salmon in the Surf

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
Master-pro

Re: Salmon in the Surf

Post by Master-pro » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:48 pm

Fishsnipper wrote:OH Boy, where do I start, directly across the road you have the surf beach, find some holes and gutters buy some pipies and squid for bait and fish the surf.
In the harbour you can fish the breakwater for Salmon and maybe pinkies, same bait as well as pilchards perhaps.
You can fish inside the harbour off the wharf for Silver trevelly and squid at night.
You can also fish the river for bream, you can try soft plastics or collect some small crabs and use them for bait, it just goes on and on but thats a start
High tide is always best
Cheers
Sorry, ut what are you talking about? :lol:
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:39 pm

Just on a side note, Wednesday afternoon is looking pretty awesome weather+tide wise. I`ll be there, (even if the bloody fish aren`t).
Gotta love evenings at the Gun.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:29 pm

CarlG wrote:Just on a side note, Wednesday afternoon is looking pretty awesome weather+tide wise. I`ll be there, (even if the bloody fish aren`t).

Damn! weds/fri i can't do. considering a wander down there on tuesday or thursday actually.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:31 pm

DougieK wrote:
CarlG wrote:Just on a side note, Wednesday afternoon is looking pretty awesome weather+tide wise. I`ll be there, (even if the bloody fish aren`t).

Damn! weds/fri i can't do. considering a wander down there on tuesday or thursday actually.
Tuesday is your day mate..very light winds..

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:39 am

Sweet!

I guess i'm cruising to Gunners tonight then!

Should get there about 5.30. I'm the dude built like a fridge in a grey hoodie with a 902 catana.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:04 pm

DougieK wrote:Sweet!

I guess i'm cruising to Gunners tonight then!

Should get there about 5.30. I'm the dude built like a fridge in a grey hoodie with a 902 catana.
side by side fridge, tall and wide or like a chest freezer, wide and short? :icon_lolz:

Let us know how you go. Good luck. :r
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:11 pm

I would be very scared if i saw a man built like a fridge walking towards me with a catana in his hand...
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:30 pm

Hooked 6 fish but only landed two. Pics soon. Will write a proper report when i get home

LBG Season 2023/4 :

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:51 pm

That was an awesome afternoon.

Shot down to the gun via devilbend reservoir (just for a look, not worth it, there is weed everywhere.) So i kicked on. Pulled up about 5pm and was fishing 10 minutes later. Couple of friendly body boarders were about and one other chap fishing with bait who had one already.

First observation is that it's a very steep and unpredictable beach, but the good side is that it's easy to read the holes. Fished the whole from the first carpark with the new stairs 100m ish to the west. I think i've drilled enough casting technique and i'm fairly happy with how it's going distance wise.

Hooked 4 fish and they all got off, one within about 4 metres of my feet in the wash. They seem to be jumping and throwing the hook. Tried fighting them with low drag and rod tip up (like you fight trout) but that wasn't cutting it. On the 5th hit (and geez you know about it when they hit) i tightened the drag up and kept the rod tip low to the water but still at 90 degrees to the fish and a couple of minutes later walked my first ever surf fish up on a little wave.

I think it was about 35ish cm and maybe 600g but i'm not sure.

15 Minutes I picked up another one which i think was a bit smaller but felt just as good.

Both on a Silver Halco 30g twister.

A couple of major issues with line twist led to an early end to the evening, i feel like i probably would have got a couple more if i'd stayed until the sunset.

A big thank you to everyone who offered me advice and encouragement to try this and to CarlG for the tip on the right day to do it. Was a freaking awesome time and i'll be down again probalby on Thursday (with a packet of swivels this time!)

LBG Season 2023/4 :

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:06 pm

Good job man......what issue did you have with line twist?

Return to “Surf Fishing”