Caught a serious bug

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Caught a serious bug

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue May 10, 2011 5:10 pm

It all started innocently enough, just to expand my fishing experience and the areas and type of fishing I did.

Bought a few el-cheapo rods and reels, thinking I'd be happy with that, but boy was I mistaken.

Soon the need for more distance started to become a goal. Now I have a 10' rod that I have had for years, used occasionally. Then I discovered that it made an absolute bueaty of lure casting rod, married with braid on a small spinning reel, I was getting impressive distances.

Started fishing an area of western port where a long cast could make the difference between fish or no fish.

So I started experimenting with getting longer casts.

Married the 10' with a Diawa Millionare and I was getting at least 80 metres, added braid and the distance is out to about 90 metres.

The rod is a Prorange CR 5136 10', an antique Diawa millionaire 6HS.

Now don't laugh. I get told that you cant use a overhead on a spin rod, but this combination works well.

Sure there are better combination, but at present they are outside my budget range.

But the bug is so serious, that it will only be appeased once I started achieving at least 100 on a regular basis.
Last edited by Wolly Bugger on Tue May 10, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hangsta*

Re: Caught a serious bug

Post by hangsta* » Tue May 10, 2011 5:38 pm

you poor bugger,hope you get well soon.some advice......dont go on ebay and look up fishing gear and dont talk to anyone from the asf...its highly addictive what you have and will cost you lots :sick:

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue May 10, 2011 5:46 pm

hangsta* wrote:you poor bugger,hope you get well soon.some advice......dont go on ebay and look up fishing gear and dont talk to anyone from the asf...its highly addictive what you have and will cost you lots :sick:

Too late, have to pay off the credit cards first, then I'll reward myself.

Will go to ASF one day to have a go at a few rods.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Tue May 10, 2011 6:04 pm

I'll just hold back on my casting, when fishing with him, should ease his mind and bank balance a little.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue May 10, 2011 6:30 pm

Brett wrote:I'll just hold back on my casting, when fishing with him, should ease his mind and bank balance a little.
"duel:

Some people just love to skite. :haha2:

Remember that cast I did along the beach? If only I could do that almost all the time.

Brett

Post by Brett » Tue May 10, 2011 6:49 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Brett wrote:I'll just hold back on my casting, when fishing with him, should ease his mind and bank balance a little.
"duel:

Remember that cast I did along the beach? If only I could do that almost all the time.

Don't you know it :tongue: I have seen great improvement in my casts lately, just from putting what I have read into practice.

Will have to tee up a trip to Gunna, maybe we will actually catch something now we can cast half reasonable distances :super:

Edit: We will have to organise getting to one of the ASF trial days(do they have these?), I would love to see what I can do with a decent rod and reel, instead of my Kmart specials and JW reels :haha2: aha

JS270
Has liked: 1 time

Post by JS270 » Wed May 11, 2011 7:20 am

Send me a PM and I may be able to meet you on Thursday as I haven't any plans and may hit Frankston for some Salmon Spinning.

Regards :D

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed May 11, 2011 8:20 am

Brett wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
"duel:

Don't you know it :tongue: I have seen great improvement in my casts lately, just from putting what I have read into practice.

Will have to tee up a trip to Gunna, maybe we will actually catch something now we can cast half reasonable distances :super:

Edit: We will have to organise getting to one of the ASF trial days(do they have these?), I would love to see what I can do with a decent rod and reel, instead of my Kmart specials and JW reels :haha2: aha

What he doesn't tell you is that his rods are 12' compared to my tiny 10'.

Secondly his reels have large diameter spools, whilst mine are tiny in comparison.

My rod is at least 20 years old, compared to his more modern JW's.

"duel: :Boxing: :tongue: :pfft: :grin:

Plus add to the fact, that he has been surf casting a bit longer than me.

So I reckon I am doing pretty well to get even close to his casts.

cantevencatchacold
Has liked: 30 times

Post by cantevencatchacold » Wed May 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Sounds like you need to see a serious bug doctor... :lol: Good luck.

Brett

Post by Brett » Wed May 11, 2011 4:56 pm

That's a long list of excuses there :haha2:

Didn't you just buy the Penn 10ft rod the other week?
My reels don't have a large diameter spool smh they are standard spin reels :cheers:

More fishing less typing, for you :lolf: would see an even greater gain in distance "duel:

Return to “Surf Fishing”