Lazy Day @ 13th

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
JS270
Has liked: 1 time

Lazy Day @ 13th

Post by JS270 » Sun May 01, 2011 3:46 pm

Well with the break away from work and after getting a few of the family things out of the way over Easter I decided to head down to 13th Beach for a lazy session and to see if we could get a few fish.

A call to allan saw him available so after finishing up on Saturday afternoon I headed down to his place, aside from getting a little lost over to Allan's there were no dramas and the traffic was much better than expected. The drive down was good and we arrive in the afternoon and were greeted with reasonable beach formation and very little weed.

Setting up was a lazy affair as I had just decided to take the two rods down, one being my TT Super Match paired with the Penn 525Mag and the other was my FMJ blank which I have set up with a sliding reel seat and running a set of the Fuji "K" guides. I had my Shimano Albrid loaded with 6 pound Ultima Distance 6 pound and running a 40 pound shock leader to the buisness end.
I must say that the ease which the FMJ handles the lighter weights i.e 3 to 4 oz and the smaller baits is a very impressive. I decided that a twin hook clip down rig running no 4 circle hooks would work well on the smaller Salmon that we were targeting for bait and was verty happy with the way the rig performed. The salmon weren't as thick as we had hoped but between Allan and I we got about a half dozen, which was ample for the bait that we needed for the evening session in the hopes of picking up a Gummy or decent Snapper.

(Allan Set up and waiting for a bite.)

As the evening approached I changed the spool on the Albrid to one running 30 pound Ultima braid and revised the rig to one with a single 4/0 circle and a pulley rig but retaied the light 3 oz lead as these were holding very well in the surf that was running.

( My 13' Century FMJ with Shrink wrap , sliding reel seat and Shimano Albrid )

The light weight rod and braid combination did show up one problem with the rod flexing at every wave movement , still every bite was clearly visible though I would have prefered less movement in the tip.

As luck would have it we didn't get anything better than a few small rock ling for myself and Allan hooked a small Pinky which wasn't worth keeping .

Still a great evening out on a very comfortable night.

Next round should be tomorrow evening as long as it's not raining too much :D

Return to “Surf Fishing”