Chasing the distance

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
Timi200

Chasing the distance

Post by Timi200 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:51 pm

Alright so I think I've become half a decent caster on my beastmaster 15ft and penn ssm650 now looking at buying a quality surf rod after gummies and mulloway around Melbourne, also don't mind catching pinkies snapper and flathead so I had a shimano ultegra5500 in mind matched up with a penn prevail 13ft 10-15 kg anyone ever used and of these they looks the goods to me and that combo feels real good in hand, hoping I'd get that extra distance as well because that's the making purpose of this combo I hope cheers guys. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated
Attachments
image.png
image.png

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Chasing the distance

Post by Scraglor » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:51 pm

They look they buisness to me, but I would shoot JS270 a PM, he is the distance casting guru.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:17 pm

Scraglor wrote:They look they buisness to me, but I would shoot JS270 a PM, he is the distance casting guru.
X2
One of the best I've ever seen...

Tackleberry
Has liked: 289 times

Post by Tackleberry » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:35 pm

x3 as i find the penn prevale rods have no guts their like using a wet noodle
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

JS270
Has liked: 1 time

Post by JS270 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:03 pm

Tim ,

The outfit seems OK but to get real distance improvements you need to focus on the techniques that maximize output of the outfit that you are using. If you already have a surf outfit and can cast the full length of a football field i.e 140 to 160 meters then I would consider looking at upgrading to a more powerful outfit. best advise is to try a few different rods with the reel of your choice and see how they actually perform , not casting into the water but on a field where you can actually measure the differences. Also try a few different weights and rigs when doing the comparison as they will also impact on overall performance.

Happy to meet up when I am doing some practice and let you try a few a few of mine before you spend your hard earned.

Regards :water:

Return to “Surf Fishing”