When distance pays dividends

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Re: When distance pays dividends

Post by ecoronad » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:58 pm

Just a question of techniques of how/where to hold the line next to the rod when casting. The power generated from the cast quite often results in a very sore index finger. A photo of where/how you position your hands/fingers based on a spinning reel would be great. Just watching Dougie's casting video makes me want to practice more. Been casting surf rods for over 30years, but i'm still handicapped by my fear of snapping the line when doing the power cast to get extra distance.

JS270
Has liked: 1 time

Re: When distance pays dividends

Post by JS270 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:35 pm

ecoronad ,

There are a few important things that you need to do when trying power casting with a threadline.

1st and foremost is to lock the drag so that the line will not pull from the spool under load as this is the main cause of line cut/burn.

2nd Take the cast slow and smooth at the beginning allowing the lead to load the rod i.e bend it before you finish with a fast push/pull when the arms are extended.

3rd. Use a finger guard , I like using the sports bandage that you can get from the chemist and is approximately 2 inches (50 MM ) wide. it is thin enough to allow a good feel yet will protect the finger from the line.

4th look up at 45 degrees not out to sea but into the sky above your target area.

and 5th make sure that your stance is well balanced and that your feet point towards the target.

have a look here:

https://youtu.be/MeOqVzXbg5M

Return to “Surf Fishing”