cast master

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
Hackonayak

Re: cast master

Post by Hackonayak » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:34 am

As an infrequent surf fisho i grabbed one of these at the camping and fishing show in Melb for $30.00 and i have to say its helped my sorry ass when casting from the beach for sure...i still have a bit of trouble dialing up the right resistance but it seems to work pretty well...Now i can cast right over the top of the fish onto the barren sand bank out the back and wait till the pickers have annihilated my bait and then wind in bare hooks..lol but it does feel nice seeing that sinker blast out of sight...cheers Paul

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:45 am

Interesting device. Doesn't look too bad :P

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:59 am

http://castmasteraustralia.com.au/

Seems Very restricted set of guide lines for use.

The Xcelerate is for use with spinning reels only.
Do not use the device with a bait caster or revolving drum type reel.
Also only use this device with a single plane, over-the-shoulder cast as seen in the video attached.
It is not designed for use with pendulum, round the body, off the ground or other casting techniques.
It is designed for rods between 3 metres/10 foot and 4.5 metres/15 foot in length and casting weights between 56 grams/2 ounces and 140 grams/5 ounces.
Heavier weights can be cast on rods suitable for those casting weights, however a mono-filament leader of suitable breaking strain will be required.
Do not use braid to wrap the xcelerate unit. Use a mono leader if you are using braid.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:02 am

^ not really. Pretty much 100% of your beach fishing is going to be done under those circumstances anyway with the exception of the mono vs braid thing.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

JS270
Has liked: 1 time

Post by JS270 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:15 pm

I would rather learn to cast properly with the gear that I have and not have to worry about gadgets .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56tCyMXv0QY

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Found this video review on the Castmaster Australia FaceBook page for those interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgRI-UAsB-o
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

Castingsport

Post by Castingsport » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:11 pm

G'Day Gents, I thought I would offer some background to Castmaster Australia Pty Ltd's Xcelerate and its use. Let me declare my interest. My name is John Waters and I am Chairman of Castmaster Australia Pty Ltd. Castmaster Xcelerate is designed for 80% of anglers who use a standard surf outfit and cast with an over the shoulder technique. I am a multiple Australian and International Casting Champion and I know very well the techniques referred to in posts above, including Jeremy’s video, but most anglers do not use those techniques. I agree that if every angler got some coaching, say from the ASF's Jeremy Schrader or other excellent coaches and casters in Australia, and then trained enough to perfect those techniques, they would never have an issue putting their bait where the fish are. Ted Whittam, Australian and World Casting Champion and record holder says it all on the website. The point of the unit and the casting action used is that you can follow through with your rod fully because the Xcelerate will release your weight at 40 degrees, irrespective of where you stop your rod tip or when counterflex begins. However, when we launched this product we did not have those anglers in mind. It is aimed at the average angler, his wife/partner and children, or the angler who has a problem loading the rod and releasing the line because of physical challenges e.g. arthritis, wheel chair bound anglers etc, etc. As stated in an earlier post there are restrictions on its use but they do not inhibit 80% of surf anglers and it is better to let people know upfront what they are than be disappointed because they thought it would work with a revolving drum reel, for example. The unit is manufactured, packaged and distributed from Victoria and like all new businesses, price will always be an issue for the owners to wrestle with, as they try to reduce the cost of manufacture. That may come with time and quantity but the decision was made to use Victorian processes, materials and labour, and establish patents in a number of countries, including Australia, however, if a copy is made offshore at 50% less labour, materials used etc etc, then so be it. If that happens and Australian anglers get a reduced price with a copy, good luck to them.
It is an Australian designed product that is totally unique and for the angling market it is aimed at, I believe it will assist. Time will tell.

John

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:22 pm

Nicely put John. Good to see an honest and open overview.

Good luck with the new product and the success of your business.
:)

Castingsport

Post by Castingsport » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:55 am

Thanks Whiskers, appreciate your post.

Tight Lines,

John

brybry

Post by brybry » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:40 am

That's a really good post John. Thank you.

Anyone going for a stroll on a Saturday morning down at Gunnamatta will see many, many fishos who could probably do with one of these!!

Although I don't think it is going to help the sprint and hurl guys (who undo all of their exertion by letting go of the rod with their top hand..pet hate of mine!).

Might look at one myself. My casting is okay but I confess to the odd crap one that goes straight up and lands at my feet!

Return to “Surf Fishing”