Broke my duck at Gunnamatta

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
BigBad64

Broke my duck at Gunnamatta

Post by BigBad64 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:14 pm

Made my 3rd trip ever to Gunnamatta this morning (my day off), got there about 7.30am and no-one else was in the car park or on the beach. No wind to speak of, so I was surprised to see how much surf there was - I though it would have been calmer.

Started casting a 40g Gillies Baitfish lure in about the second gutter I found to the left of the stairs (well I think it was a gutter), and about 6th cast - snagged. Wouldn't come free for love nor money, so after a big yank it broke at the uni knot at the swivel near the lure. (That's the second lure I've lost to snags at Gunnamatta. Does this happen to others - or is it just me?)

Anyway, tied on another snap-swivel and put on a 40g Surecatch Knight and walked towards the lighthouse. Started casting at the next area I thought was a gutter and then at about 8.20am I thought I had another snag, but the line kept winding in and I slowly realised - hang on - that has to be a fish. Lost it close to shore - never saw it. Cast again and hooked up shortly after and managed to land my first ever Gunnamatta salmon (see below). Nothing special size wise I suppose but it made me pretty happy. :-D

Spiked it and threw it up the beach and cast back in. About 2 casts later hooked up again and a salmon about the same size spat the treble hooks in the end of the shallows. I dropped the rod and ran over to grab it in the gloves and half way there whack - knocked A over T by a wave. I'm on all fours taking an unscheduled dip and by the time I recovered and looked around the fish had long gone.

Anyway, they went off the bite then and despite about a hundred more casts at various places up and down the beach (and another dip on all fours after getting knocked off my feet again - those waves are strong) I didn't get another bite.

Two bait fisherman back near the stairs when I left at about 10 - one said he was having his bait taken but hadn't had any hook-ups.

Drove home wet as a shag and with a fair amount of Gunnamatta sand in various places and cursing the loss of the second fish, but with plans to return on the next day off.

The fish was nice and tasty for tea tonight with home made-chips and silver beet. :a_goodjob:
Attachments
A__48DB.jpg
A__48DB.jpg (204.67 KiB) Viewed 1923 times

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Broke my duck at Gunnamatta

Post by Basti » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:25 pm

gunners swell can be pretty hairy. i try not to turn my back to the surf down there if it's rough. well done on your catch but next time if you drop a fish in the shallows cut your losses and just recast. you'll have more chance of hooking up to another in the school than recovering the lost fish. it's a lot drier method too.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:25 pm

Nice report mate! Congrats on your first gunners salmon :thumbsup:

ThomasG

Post by ThomasG » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:36 pm

Good yarn, thanks for sharing. Just a tip, that fish will be so much nicer if you could bleed it and put in an ice/seawater slurry straight away. Even a frozen milk bottle and a little sea water in a clean bucket will do.

Cheers.....ThomasG

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:28 pm

Well done. It's nice to break your duck!

You're right about the surf this morning. I fished Woolamai and the surf was pretty lively.

Lots of good looking gutters this morning but very little happening in them. I manage to hook up on two but dropped both of them, so doughnuts for me today.
:)

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:35 pm

Nice one! 40cm is a decent salmon. If you're finding they're spitting the hooks you might want to change the trebles over to single hooks.

The swell is formed in storms 100s if not 1000s of kilometers away out in Bass Straight or way out in the southern ocean and travels from there to land, so it can still be quite large even if there is a strong wind blowing offshore locally. It pays to keep an eye out for the occasional larger one at Gunnamatta, you might not get washed away but having one splash icy cold water up your shorts on onto your nuts on a cold morning isn't the most pleasant sensation.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:56 pm

Well done on landing your first fish at gunners, hopefully it will be the first of many :cheers:
but like others have said keep your eyes on those waves down there they can be real pricks.
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:10 am

l have never fished there,but any time you break a duck has to be a good thing :cheers:

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:58 pm

Nice fish, I have had so many donuts there I could open a shop.
Cast, catch and put it back

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:17 pm

Lol :rofl:

Return to “Surf Fishing”