Surf/Land based spinning reel

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Surf/Land based spinning reel

Post by CarlG » Wed May 11, 2016 8:03 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:6 rods!? how heavy are the baits/lures you're casting that usually do the damage?
50gram are the biggest I generally use. You have to put it in perspective, if I'm out salmon fishing, (surf spinning), I might put in over 110 casts per session, (sometimes more, sometimes less). If I do that 3 times per week, that is a fairly serious amount of work a rod does. If they get a little knock or a bump somewhere along the line, it is gonna go south very quickly under that workload.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed May 11, 2016 9:44 pm

CarlG wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:6 rods!? how heavy are the baits/lures you're casting that usually do the damage?
50gram are the biggest I generally use. You have to put it in perspective, if I'm out salmon fishing, (surf spinning), I might put in over 110 casts per session, (sometimes more, sometimes less). If I do that 3 times per week, that is a fairly serious amount of work a rod does. If they get a little knock or a bump somewhere along the line, it is gonna go south very quickly under that workload.
That and your technique is garbage....
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Wed May 11, 2016 10:00 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:How have you broken rods while casting DougieK? line wrapping around guides or just really loading up the rod with heavy weight?

I might try looking for a second handy Van staal on ebay or something..
No i haven't remarkably enough, I was just laying into Carl cos he does.

Casting the maximum weight in the range of the rod constantly is a recipe for trouble though, particularly land based and even more so if you do long walks in and out. It's soooooo easy to drop them / bang them into something / have them fall on the rocks and who knows what fractures might take place.

Carl on the other hand simply puts in more casts than anyone else I know so it makes sense that he has more kills to his name.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed May 11, 2016 10:03 pm

lol nothing like a bit of banter between fishos!

yeh fair enough i get what you mean. 300 casts a week is pretty serious..

I might have to catch up with you guys in the coming months on the rocks or beach to get a few pointers on the whats and hows

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Wed May 11, 2016 10:10 pm

Conservative much, Carl? I think some days would be closer to 300 in a session.

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Wed May 11, 2016 10:26 pm

Brett wrote:Conservative much, Carl? I think some days would be closer to 300 in a session.

Full cast and retrieve a minute is efficient fishing. 2 hours on the beach and make 120 casts I'd say you're doing well. Casting smaller distances retrieves take less time but surf spinning if you take into account walking time and lure changes and dehooking fish I think that's about right.

I tried over a few sessions to average it out, figuring if I could find ways to put in more casts per hour i'd probably get more fish but lost count cos I kept hooking up. Not this year though.

On a big whole afternoon session when we get out at midday and stay until after dark, using hardbodies as well as slugs easily 250-300.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Thu May 12, 2016 10:19 am

Brett wrote:Conservative much, Carl? I think some days would be closer to 300 in a session.
Most probably mate. I was leaning on the conservative side.
I can think of plenty of days when I've done 3 hours at gunners in a morning, and gone to portsea in the arvo, then back to gunners for sunset. That would have a frightening cast total.

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:46 pm

CarlG wrote:
I've done roughly 6 salmon rods in the last couple of years.
Being a Newcastle lad Carl how many are you going to do in the next couple of weeks by getting the frustration out after this mornings results? :oops:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Return to “Surf Fishing”