Surf/Land based spinning reel

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Re: Surf/Land based spinning reel

Post by Trumpeter » Tue May 10, 2016 5:46 pm

2015 Freams are cheap atm, some places have the 4000 for under $150.00. They're a notch above the Excelers (I have both) and the drag is rated to 8kg.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue May 10, 2016 5:56 pm

Yeh i love my Daiwa reels Marty.A. My first reels i ever fished with were my old mans Daiwa silver series and Daiwa Black and gold reels in the early 90's. They worked flawlessly. I actually just sold them about a year ago to make some room in the shed. In saying that.. i actually learnt to fish with Abu Ambassadeur 5000 C3's and 6500 C3's.. Now they are a top reel. When i was young i used to be fascinated and loved overhead/baitcaster reels and still am. Good for bait work and trolling the rivers not much good for high speed spinning though.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue May 10, 2016 5:59 pm

I was looking at those as well Trumpeter. But they are a bit heavier than the Exceler, They are mag sealed and they don't come with a round EVA knob. so an extra $30-40 to upgrade the knob..

I know if i chuck some carbontex smoooth drag washers in the exceler it will up the drag a touch and make the drag a lot more smoother

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue May 10, 2016 6:24 pm

the Fk should be able to sneak in under 300, comes with a nice power grip knob too.
If you are worried about fatigue I'd say a shorter rod will make more difference than 40 or so grams in the reel
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Tue May 10, 2016 6:41 pm

Marty.A wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:lol We have a shimano fan boy in the house do we! I don't really like shimano gear DougieK. I've always been into my daiwas. I've been pulling them apart for years and they have never failed me. They feel like a more rugged reel to me..

I'll be doing mostly spinning for salmon and bit of light bait work. I already have a Daiwa sea jigger SJ 325M rod that i picked up cheap.
Same bro been a Daiwa man ever since I started fishing still have my first Daiwa reel a 160RL dad bought me for $20 back in 1986.I also love how some Tackle Shops try to steer me into buying Shimano gear and then I get a blank look when I say I only buy Daiwa then they give me that whole Shimano spiel about it being more popular and better value than Daiwa, not in my mind that's for sure. :-D
Hey Marty or sinsemilla you guys seem to know a lot about daiwa have you seen one of these before I've had it for years, thought I'd hold on to it since it's really old and it might be worth something one day to a antique fishing gear collector haha
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Tue May 10, 2016 7:14 pm

Buckle&scream wrote:
Marty.A wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:lol We have a shimano fan boy in the house do we! I don't really like shimano gear DougieK. I've always been into my daiwas. I've been pulling them apart for years and they have never failed me. They feel like a more rugged reel to me..

I'll be doing mostly spinning for salmon and bit of light bait work. I already have a Daiwa sea jigger SJ 325M rod that i picked up cheap.
Same bro been a Daiwa man ever since I started fishing still have my first Daiwa reel a 160RL dad bought me for $20 back in 1986.I also love how some Tackle Shops try to steer me into buying Shimano gear and then I get a blank look when I say I only buy Daiwa then they give me that whole Shimano spiel about it being more popular and better value than Daiwa, not in my mind that's for sure. :-D
Hey Marty or sinsemilla you guys seem to know a lot about daiwa have you seen one of these before I've had it for years, thought I'd hold on to it since it's really old and it might be worth something one day to a antique fishing gear collector haha
Wow that's a classic that would be a late 60's early 70's I've seen similar reels with the Ra not Rd at the end of the serial number go for between $30 to $60 in good condition. I keep my 160RL just for sentimental reasons, which reminds me to dig it out from Mum and Dads place when I'm next down there.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue May 10, 2016 7:20 pm

DougieK wrote:Whats a Daiwa 4000 in mens sizes?
500 I think. But they do come with a great recipe for chia seed and smashed avocado burley.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

charlts99

Post by charlts99 » Tue May 10, 2016 7:52 pm

Can't go wrong with daiwa vadal 4000H fantastic reel, strong great line capacity for dealing with rays ect when bait fishing and good gear ratio for spinning.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue May 10, 2016 8:00 pm

Buckle&scream wrote:
Marty.A wrote:

That old daiwa is a beauty mate. I have a very old one my dad used to use as well. I remember seeing it in the garage not long ago. Gotta find it lol

aahffs

Post by aahffs » Tue May 10, 2016 9:13 pm

Just my 2c but for that price range and your requirements a Shimano Stradic 4000 is a far better choice than any comparable Daiwa.

Compared to the Daiwas you mentioned a Stradic would be 100g lighter, have more drag power and similar or better line retrieve.

The Daiwa 4000 trumps the Stradic for line capacity for sure, but surf spinning for salmon you generally won't drag out much of the spool.

Return to “Surf Fishing”