Purchasing a Surf Rod

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
Steve1389

Purchasing a Surf Rod

Post by Steve1389 » Mon May 02, 2016 8:18 am

Hope you're all well guys!

Need some advice, as I am looking to start surf fishing for the first time, and I am very interested in purchasing my first rod. Don't want to go overboard in price, so the budget would probably be $150-200 as I just spent $600 on a plastics combo a couple of weeks ago.

Any advice would be great :)

P.S - Maybe some waiders to match also?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Purchasing a Surf Rod

Post by 4liters » Mon May 02, 2016 8:37 am

For spinning or bait fishing?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Steve1389

Post by Steve1389 » Mon May 02, 2016 8:46 am

Probably bait fishing :)

Lecterfan

Post by Lecterfan » Mon May 02, 2016 8:49 am

Hey Steve, surf fishing can be a very personal thing...people have their own set ups and will swear by them. One thing I would say about fishing gear is the same about any activity that requires tools: anything that is "general purpose" means it is a compromise. If you want a surf set up, then get a surf set up. Then decide if you are mostly targeting mullet and whiting and average size salmon, or whether you want to be throwing big baits into the surf on 6/0 hooks. One rod will do both but will be a massive compromise.

I prefer 13'6" rods as a starting point, but you might need to practice your casting for accuracy and distance - there are some great tips and links from some (I think) competition casters on this site (and youtube in general). But actually getting out there fishing will help heaps as well. 12' is pretty standard and will do for a start.

I'm not going to suggest any models because I am not up on all the brands and availability, but there is no need to blow the budget for a start. For e.g. I am still using a two piece surf rod from BCF that I got a few years ago as a last minute purchase so a mate could come with me (big field surf or something???), and since then it has become one of my favourite rods. It is great for salmon and gummies and can handle rays also. Plus, it was only $60 or something, so when the day comes that I break it on some rocks or whatever I'm not going to lose any sleep. My other set up is a lever drag alvey on a custom 13'6" fibreglass blank that a friend made for me many years ago and is still going strong.

Some don't like waders. I do. With care, caution, and slowly gaining experience waders are fine. But they can be dangerous in some situations (unless going for full neoprene etc). As with all things: don't be a d*ckhead and don't tempt fate with steep beaches with big waves.

Surf fishing can be hard, but having the right tools can make it more comfortable and rewarding etc etc. I'm sure you'll get more specific advice from others. Good luck!

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Mon May 02, 2016 9:14 am

My standard bait fishing set up 10 to 15 kg rod in 12 to 13 foot 20 to 30 lb line 6000 to 8000 sized reel.

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Mon May 02, 2016 4:18 pm

Is that 150-200 on rod only?

I went through the same process not long ago and purchased a Shimano Aerowave Graphite 13ft 3 piece 8-15kg. My reasons for purchase as follows:

- 3 piece means I can take with me on family holidays as it fits in car easily

- Graphite so better feel and light

- Weight rating means I can use for salmon and gummies/other sharks off surf so a bit of an all rounder

- Value for money (they are around 180)

I matched it with an existing reel I have which is a Shimano Aerlex XSA 8000 which has up to 15kg drag. Excess for salmon but you don't have to crank it up. But it's got the guts for bigger fish if needed. This reel is about 100 bucks.

All up a combo like this would set you back around 280... Maybe cheaper if found as a combo perhaps.

I've used this a few times now and is good for what it is.

I rate the Aerowave and my cousin has been using his for years and pulled his heaps of salmon.

Good luck mate

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon May 02, 2016 4:31 pm

GONE FISHING wrote:Is that 150-200 on rod only?

I went through the same process not long ago and purchased a Shimano Aerowave Graphite 13ft 3 piece 8-15kg. My reasons for purchase as follows:

- 3 piece means I can take with me on family holidays as it fits in car easily

- Graphite so better feel and light

- Weight rating means I can use for salmon and gummies/other sharks off surf so a bit of an all rounder

- Value for money (they are around 180)

I matched it with an existing reel I have which is a Shimano Aerlex XSA 8000 which has up to 15kg drag. Excess for salmon but you don't have to crank it up. But it's got the guts for bigger fish if needed. This reel is about 100 bucks.

All up a combo like this would set you back around 280... Maybe cheaper if found as a combo perhaps.

I've used this a few times now and is good for what it is.

I rate the Aerowave and my cousin has been using his for years and pulled his heaps of salmon.

Good luck mate
I have two of that exact combo and absolutely love them.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon May 02, 2016 5:43 pm

^ What these guys said. The Aeroweave is an excellent rod.

If the $ permit a Tcurve Coastal will do all the same things but better.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

lachie.snow

Post by lachie.snow » Mon May 02, 2016 5:52 pm

Although I don't use it much, i've got a Penn Spinfisher 650SSm spooled with 20lb braid paired up with a 12ft 6-8kg Shimano Eclipse Lumo (fairly cheap rod) I pretty much use it as an all round rod but predominantly for bait fishing and a little spinning. It is quite a heavy setup to spin with lol :thumbsup:

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:03 pm

Annaconda have got a deal on a Daiwa Laguna surf rod in 14ft version for $114 , it would leave you some budget for a decent reel.
Cast, catch and put it back

Return to “Surf Fishing”