Purchasing a Surf Rod

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
chillicrab

Re: Purchasing a Surf Rod

Post by chillicrab » Tue May 03, 2016 1:40 am

Lecterfan wrote:Hey Steve, surf fishing can be a very personal thing...people have their own set ups and will swear by them. One thing I would say about fishing gear is the same about any activity that requires tools: anything that is "general purpose" means it is a compromise. If you want a surf set up, then get a surf set up. Then decide if you are mostly targeting mullet and whiting and average size salmon, or whether you want to be throwing big baits into the surf on 6/0 hooks. One rod will do both but will be a massive compromise.

I prefer 13'6" rods as a starting point, but you might need to practice your casting for accuracy and distance - there are some great tips and links from some (I think) competition casters on this site (and youtube in general). But actually getting out there fishing will help heaps as well. 12' is pretty standard and will do for a start.

I'm not going to suggest any models because I am not up on all the brands and availability, but there is no need to blow the budget for a start. For e.g. I am still using a two piece surf rod from BCF that I got a few years ago as a last minute purchase so a mate could come with me (big field surf or something???), and since then it has become one of my favourite rods. It is great for salmon and gummies and can handle rays also. Plus, it was only $60 or something, so when the day comes that I break it on some rocks or whatever I'm not going to lose any sleep. My other set up is a lever drag alvey on a custom 13'6" fibreglass blank that a friend made for me many years ago and is still going strong.

Some don't like waders. I do. With care, caution, and slowly gaining experience waders are fine. But they can be dangerous in some situations (unless going for full neoprene etc). As with all things: don't be a d*ckhead and don't tempt fate with steep beaches with big waves.

Surf fishing can be hard, but having the right tools can make it more comfortable and rewarding etc etc. I'm sure you'll get more specific advice from others. Good luck!
This guy is high level.

Im gona search your posts and read every single one of them.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue May 03, 2016 6:41 am

I wait until the tackle store has a sale.

Recently Trelly's Tackle world off loaded the Nitro fishing rods, which I bought a few. for less than half retail price.

Lecterfan

Post by Lecterfan » Tue May 03, 2016 3:53 pm

chilli crab wrote: This guy is high level.

Im gona search your posts and read every single one of them.
I haven't caught a decent fish in ages haha... I'm mostly an armchair/keyboard warrior at the moment. I didn't even own a digital camera etc when I was living in WA so I haven't really got any evidence that I can catch a fish. But WA almost ruined Vic for me and I don't go out as often as I'd like/often as I should anymore now I'm back (and have been for years).

brybry

Post by brybry » Tue May 03, 2016 4:09 pm

Like some of the others have said, the Shimano Aerowaves are a nice rod.

Unless your targeting gummies, a 10kg is more than enough gun for what we get in Victoria. Prefer 13ft in length as a minimum.

One recommendation though is to get yourself one of those leather rod buckets. Makes holding your rod for hours much more comfortable and stops it from digging in to your midriff when your playing a big fish.

adamk

Post by adamk » Tue May 03, 2016 8:15 pm

12ft silstar power tip i payed like 50 something put a penn spinfisher or Fin Nor Lethal wait till there on special again on it an your got something that will last.
it will havesome weight due to the reel tbh

or penn prevail in 14ft bit remember to nail polish the joining parts as there not coated at all.
its light i use to use one with a okuma trio salts 60 i just couldint get use to it with the lack of weight.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue May 03, 2016 8:36 pm

I have a couple of prevails. One is 10ft and the other is an 11ft. Mainly use them during snapper season from the rocks. Great rods :)

adamk

Post by adamk » Tue May 03, 2016 8:50 pm

Lightningx wrote:I have a couple of prevails. One is 10ft and the other is an 11ft. Mainly use them during snapper season from the rocks. Great rods :)
put nail polish on the ends of the joining bits or watch them thread, prolly the only downside of them tbh, half the reason i sold mine tbh

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Tue May 03, 2016 8:53 pm

adamk wrote:
Lightningx wrote:I have a couple of prevails. One is 10ft and the other is an 11ft. Mainly use them during snapper season from the rocks. Great rods :)
put nail polish on the ends of the joining bits or watch them thread, prolly the only downside of them tbh, half the reason i sold mine tbh
I have had them for over 2 years and haven't had any problems with it man.

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Wed May 04, 2016 10:41 am

adamk wrote:
Iv also heared not so good things about them as well, my friend had 2 prevails and wasn't happy with it he got rid of them.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed May 04, 2016 10:48 am

Buckle&scream wrote:
adamk wrote:
Iv also heared not so good things about them as well, my friend had 2 prevails and wasn't happy with it he got rid of them.
In what way was he not happy with them mate?

Return to “Surf Fishing”