Casting with Shimano Fliegen & braid

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
JS270
Has liked: 1 time

Casting with Shimano Fliegen & braid

Post by JS270 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:15 pm

As the caption states I just got myself one of the Shimano Super Aero Fliegen thread lines from Japan . These reels are design for braided lines with shallow angled spools that suit the finer braided lines . The choice of a non drag model is due to the fact that I want this for field use to throw level line as well as fine 0.25 mm mono for both the 18 gram plug as well as the lighter leads if the hold enough line.

Here is a video showing the reel in action mated up my century TTUL-ST and throwing the 18 gram plug as I could only get to the local park and not one big enough to safely throw the heavier weights.

What is very interesting is the Tapered braid leader that came with the reel and line which will enable the heavier leads to be used safely :water:

Comments or questions appreciated :mrgreen:

https://youtu.be/Ua2ASG676VU

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Casting with Shimano Fliegen & braid

Post by Lightningx » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:22 pm

Enjoyed watching the video. Thanks for sharing mate :thumbsup:

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:05 am

i've always had my eye on one of these reels, for no reason other than they look funky. how do you find it compared to a more standard longcast spinning reel?

that also doesn't look like a regular pendulum cast. all the videos i've seen show the lead starting high when going into the power stroke. the way you've done it seems like it'd be easier to time right

JS270

Post by JS270 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:14 pm

Basti ,

The reel is much lighter than the standard reels that I have in my coolection with only the Daiwa Basia 25 QD and Shimano Albrid coming close to it. The line lay on this reel is a super slow weave that makes casting with the braided line much smoother. Additionally the braid only spool sees the line coming of much easier.

In regards to the cast is is what some people call a flat swing pendulum were the lead is kept low. This cast is easier to time and also reduces the chances of twisting the tip and possibly breaking it when casting heavier leads. Note I will be using this reel basically for throwing level line events with weights ranging from 56 gram to 112. If your interested we have casting day s where I teach club members on the variousstyles of cast available.

Regards

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:41 pm

thanks for that jeremy. I'm pretty single minded atm chasing fish for the species comp so i haven't touched a surf rod in a while but I could definitely do with improving my distance casting in teh future. i'll keep that offer in mind

JS270

Post by JS270 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:58 pm

here's a photo of the reel now loaded up with the 8 KG Gliss line I picked up from Harrington Fishing tackle.

Will be interesting to see how she goes on Sunday :-)

Fisho87

Post by Fisho87 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:30 am

JS270 wrote:here's a photo of the reel now loaded up with the 8 KG Gliss line I picked up from Harrington Fishing tackle.

Will be interesting to see how she goes on Sunday :-)

That is a damn nice reel :thumbsup:

Return to “Surf Fishing”