First time @ Gunnamatta - donuts

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
GONE FISHING

First time @ Gunnamatta - donuts

Post by GONE FISHING » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:07 pm

Headed out to Gunnamatta this morning with my cousin at around 7ish. First time out so was excited and first time using my Graphite rod.... Pumped

Got there, there would have to have been at least 150 surfers out on the water. Seriously we walked probably a km up the beach to get a quiet spot and we couldn't escape them.

Day started off terribly, the leader I had on there snapper on me, lost a whole rig so I took out the 40lb fluoro and re rigged. I look up about to cast and I see this surfer setting up getting ready to head out just in front of me.... Seriously.... I yelled out to him that I was about to cast and he smirked and headed out, so I did what anyone else would do and waited till he was further out and made a bet on whether or not I could ping him. I missed his ar$e by about an inch and I think he got the hint and moved along.

Most other surfers were pretty good in staying clear of the lines though.

All throughout the morning got heaps of bites but no hook ups. They were either mullet or small salmon because they kept stealing the bait, even when I tied it on with bait twine!

My cousin ended up hooking up and reeled in what he thought was just his sinker. It was a small bait sized salmon which I am hoping to use as gummy bait soon.

After that the bites continued with no result.

The sun shining on us and the backdrop gave us some spectacular views and to be honest I enjoy surf fishing that much that even when I don't catch, I enjoy myself.

Packed up and left at midday, stopped off for a coffee and went home.

Will definitely go back again soon and hopefully come back with a better result.

In my defence, there were quite a few fisherman who either didn't catch any or got onto one, maybe two salmon so it see they were just not on the chew. Possibly due to the swarm of surfers in the water!

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: First time @ Gunnamatta - donuts

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:28 pm

GONE FISHING wrote: All throughout the morning got heaps of bites but no hook ups. They were either mullet or small salmon because they kept stealing the bait, even when I tied it on with bait twine!
]
The bites, were more than likely crabs.

Yes Gunnamatta has broken many hearts.

The Gunnamatta trudge
viewtopic.php?f=169&t=13576

The Gunnamatta Myth
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=13122

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:34 pm

You weren't wearing a savage gear tourny shirt were you?

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:47 pm

ducky wrote:You weren't wearing a savage gear tourny shirt were you?
That was me chief. Was that you guys spinning near me?

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:02 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
GONE FISHING wrote: All throughout the morning got heaps of bites but no hook ups. They were either mullet or small salmon because they kept stealing the bait, even when I tied it on with bait twine!
]
The bites, were more than likely crabs.

Yes Gunnamatta has broken many hearts.

The Gunnamatta trudge
viewtopic.php?f=169&t=13576

The Gunnamatta Myth
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=13122
Some interesting threads.

With the weather as good as it was, it was still a cracking day to be on the beach anyhow

ducky

Post by ducky » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:05 pm

Yeah I was with a mate. I was the one with the shaved head with the White and blue raglan. I ended with 2 fish of a similar size 50-52cm. Wasn't crazy though. It gets better in winter.

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:10 pm

ducky wrote:Yeah I was with a mate. I was the one with the shaved head with the White and blue raglan. I ended with 2 fish of a similar size 50-52cm. Wasn't crazy though. It gets better in winter.
50cm... That would have given you just a little excitement surely? That's a good sized sambo !!

If you see me around there again pop by and say g'day mate!

I was going to bring my spin gear too but my cousin told me not to bother because the bait gear would keep us busy.... I knew I shouldn't have listened :down:

ducky

Post by ducky » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:24 pm

GONE FISHING wrote:
ducky wrote:Yeah I was with a mate. I was the one with the shaved head with the White and blue raglan. I ended with 2 fish of a similar size 50-52cm. Wasn't crazy though. It gets better in winter.
50cm... That would have given you just a little excitement surely? That's a good sized sambo !!

If you see me around there again pop by and say g'day mate!

I was going to bring my spin gear too but my cousin told me not to bother because the bait gear would keep us busy.... I knew I shouldn't have listened :down:
Haha yeah a bit of fun in the wash that's for sure.

Well worth bringing the spinning gear. Personally if I was keen on bait fishing the surf I'd spin/bait up salmon then immediately feed some fresh chunk baits back out in the surf hoping for a gumbo. Bait fishing for salmon isn't anywhere near as much fun as throwing slugs. You have to carry 1/4 of the gear too. Water bottle. Half a dozen various slugs. Pliers/scissors and a small spool of leader.

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:25 pm

i get what you mean about the surf fishing even if I don't catch as well the seceanery and environment is priceless..better luck next time bud!

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:36 pm

My back is r00ted after lugging around all that gear. The further we walked the more appealing spinning with slugs was looking.

I could barely bait fish for salmon on the beach let alone for a gumbo with all the surfers around.

Next time I go if the high tide coincides with night,if I hook a sambo I'll throw out a fillet for a gummy and see what happens.

Anyhow it was great to be back on the surf and I can say that the rush has come back once more. That and I want to out fish my cousin lol

Return to “Surf Fishing”