how far can you cast with a 9' rod and a 40g slug

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
Tackleberry
Has liked: 301 times

how far can you cast with a 9' rod and a 40g slug

Post by Tackleberry » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:01 am

ok following on from ingeer's thread How far can you cast with 12" rod and 3oz sinker?..... how far can you cast with a 9' rod and a 40g slug :)

i figure there's a lot of members on here with a 9' rod to ping 40g slugs at salmon , not interested in guesstimates i would like proper measurements

please .

i cheat a bit i use a laser range finder it just makes it easier, now the reason i ask is i bought a 9' rod and i'm not all that impressed at the range i am

getting so i thought i would see if i get what is the norm or not for a 9' rod .

cheers TAC

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: how far can you cast with a 9' rod and a 40g slug

Post by CarlG » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:34 am

Around 100mtrs give or take.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:16 am

CarlG wrote:Around 100mtrs give or take.
Same here.

I went to the local rugby field which is 100 metres in length, and can cast the lure goal to goal. Some times more, sometimes less.

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:48 am

Interesting question. Will have to measure once I get back home.

I have a follow on question: do you tie on a short leader or longer leader to get better distance?

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:42 am

GONE FISHING wrote:Interesting question. Will have to measure once I get back home.

I have a follow on question: do you tie on a short leader or longer leader to get better distance?
For fishing slugs the leader knot is always outside of the guides. Firstly because of the number of casts so the knot doesn't weaken also you will get a longer cast every metre helps off the back beach especially if the salmon are out deep.

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:47 am

poodoo wrote:
GONE FISHING wrote:Interesting question. Will have to measure once I get back home.

For fishing slugs the leader knot is always outside of the guides. Firstly because of the number of casts so the knot doesn't weaken also you will get a longer cast every metre helps off the back beach especially if the salmon are out deep.
That's what I was looking for! Cheers mate

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:11 am

If you're interested in casting technique js270 has made some great postures on here. He is current australisn surfcasting champ. There is also an sustralian surfcasting forum which is full of friendly helpful people
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:19 am

DougieK wrote:If you're interested in casting technique js270 has made some great postures on here. He is current australisn surfcasting champ. There is also an sustralian surfcasting forum which is full of friendly helpful people
He got knocked off last weekend :tongue:

Still a great resource though, here is his youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/JPSCHRADER
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:19 am

DougieK wrote:If you're interested in casting technique js270 has made some great postures on here. He is current australisn surfcasting champ. There is also an sustralian surfcasting forum which is full of friendly helpful people
Great posture?? I might have to get some tips off him for my bad back :rofl:

Sorry Doug I couldn't help myself. I had a bit of a giggle to myself reading that.

tommyfishunter

Post by tommyfishunter » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:49 am

poodoo wrote:

How long do you generally have your leader? I'm having real problems with my double uni knot breaking every 100 or so casts.

Return to “Surf Fishing”