Phillip Island Surf Fishing Advice

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
GONE FISHING

Phillip Island Surf Fishing Advice

Post by GONE FISHING » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:06 pm

So I'll be staying for a week with the family on the Island, leaving tomorrow. Today I managed to hurt my wrist, and I think it's sprained. Sucks ! :down:

I fish mainly off a kayak, So now I am contemplating leaving the yak at home, it's already strapped to the roof at the moment. I'll give it until tonight and if not better then I'll get my brother to give me a hand getting it down.

My predicament is if I leave the yak at home, I want to get some sort of fishing in, so it will have to be land based for me. I've only ever fished Westernport a handful of times and it has been yak/boat based.

Can anyone recommend me some places where I could fish off the surf around the island that would seem productive? I was thinking maybe Cape Woolamai near the surf life saving club or Kilcunda.

If anyone is familiar with the surf out that way can give me some pointers and what to look out for, would be great.

Cheers :a_goodjob:

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Phillip Island Surf Fishing Advice

Post by mazman » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:34 pm

I used to surf fish for salmon off cemetery beach near kilcunda never did exceptionally well but very rarely caught nothing, winter is technically the season but they can be there at any time of the year. As for on the island I haven't fished it in a long time but have heard of people doing well off woolamai surf beach or if you are up for a walk and the weather permits red point fishes well too, just have a look through dougiek's posts for the latter.

all the best with your recovery

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:53 pm

You could try the beach at the bottom of Potters Hill road in San Remo. Its a bit more sheltered than Kilcunda and has a decent depth of water. Normal surf species are there but there are some rock ledges round to the left that I had a look at a couple of weeks ago but not got round to trying yet which might have a bit more variety.
Cast, catch and put it back

crookedfingers

Post by crookedfingers » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:54 pm

Hey GF

sorry but I can't offer up any advice on fishing other than maybe rhyll pier if you like banjos !!!!

All I would say is leave the kayak on top, just incase you feel better later in the week and wish you had left it on !

CF

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. After hours of strenuous deliberations with my wife, she convinced me to take it along just in case I did recover. It can't hurt I guess.

It will be a bit of a mission to load and unload but hopefully won't be too much pressure.

I'll post up how I went afterwards. Had a brief look at the weather, doesn't look crash hot but the weather gurus don't have a reputation for accuracy so here's hoping.

Ok for now I'm.... Gone Fishing!

:water:

adamk

Post by adamk » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:18 am

when i was last there two weeks ago seen a guy fishing ventnor rd summerlands off the rock dono how much luck he had
but know the jetty triangle area was a douhnut fest at cowes

didint get a chance to fish o_0 joys of living with 5 Filipinos lol

wallaby30

Post by wallaby30 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:01 am

Not to sure about the surf , but I've always done pretty well on silverleaves beach . Plenty of whitting , flattys and mullett

Return to “Surf Fishing”