Re-Open Point Addis to Rec Angler's.

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
Fishsniper

Re: Re-Open Point Addis to Rec Angler's.

Post by Fishsniper » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:37 pm

The beach itself is very deep in close, rips are always good for fishing, it produced a lot of big Salmon and was one of the few beaches to produce Mulloway on a fairly consistent basis, the rock ledge required good knowledge of where to fish but boy did it produce plenty of snapper, september and october each year would produce multiple catches of snapper and summer was always good for big KG Whiting, what I said was it was no good for swimming but for fishing it was brilliant. But I'm never going to convince you, it's the same with all fishing spots, unless you know what you are doing you will go fishless quite often but to those who knew the spot and how to fish it then it was a very good spot, I like to see my licence fees at work. I will give you a couple of examples, I have been trying to get a floating pontoon installed at Kirks point for years, its a very popular boat ramp which gives access to good grounds but they wont and there is Altona pier, they put some artifical reefs out the front of it but they wont upgrade the pier itself, there is room for about 3 rods there and as a result it often ends up in people getting into punch ons, just looking for a bit of common sense from fisheries thats all

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:48 pm

Ok so it has merit, next problem is there nearby locations that offer the same?

trueee

Post by trueee » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:00 pm

fishing Pt Addis was one of the best locations to fish .The science used to create marine parks at the time was to ask local fisherman where we fished and the best spots land based anglers and boating so alot of "science "gathered camefrom fisherman , stating the best spots, so they closed the best spots we fished ...now you see more dog poo than anything .open it up to rec fishing allowing the taking of fish ,squid etc only ,NO crayfish,crabs or shell fish etc I live locally and lost a large area to 2 marine sancturies with no basis to reasons why .Ther is still NO reason to close as the species of fish we catch in this location move on to all areas

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:09 pm

trueee wrote:fishing Pt Addis was one of the best locations to fish .The science used to create marine parks at the time was to ask local fisherman where we fished and the best spots land based anglers and boating so alot of "science "gathered camefrom fisherman , stating the best spots, so they closed the best spots we fished ...now you see more dog poo than anything .open it up to rec fishing allowing the taking of fish ,squid etc only ,NO crayfish,crabs or shell fish etc I live locally and lost a large area to 2 marine sancturies with no basis to reasons why .Ther is still NO reason to close as the species of fish we catch in this location move on to all areas
x2 :a_goodjob:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:45 pm

frozenpod wrote:Would people going to the beach to swim surf ect have the same impact on the birds?

Also what is so special about this place that is should be open to rec fishing?
I'm not sure, but I guess people walking to the rock ledge to fish might do more damage than people on the beach itself because the rocks would be where the birds nest.

It sounds like one purpose of the parks to protect these areas in the most natural state possible to use them as reference points for other parts of the state so any removal of fish would run counter to that aim.

I still don't get the angst over the parks, a whopping 5% of the state is part of a marine park which isn't much given the number of other stakeholders who are in favour of seeing parts of the state receive protection.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:00 pm

"5% of the state is part of a marine parks" Yes but the 5% are the easy to get to places with in a 2 hr drive from Melbourne.

Victoria occupies 2512 km of coastline. The south east corner of the continent between latitudes 34 and 39 south and longitudes 141 and 150 east. It covers 227 600 km2 – about the same area as England, Wales and Scotland; three-fifths of Japan and slightly larger than the US State of Utah.

So why target the the most commonly fished areas near Melbourne ? don't fish breed anywhere else ?

2512 km of coastline and they single out places that have been fished since Victoria was discovered ?

Where are the archives from the decision making to target these areas ? where is the science / survey results ?

There are no records and until there is I'm not convinced, my best catches were from Addis for years before the closure, the fishing never declined ever...
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:22 pm

4liters wrote:
frozenpod wrote:Would people going to the beach to swim surf ect have the same impact on the birds?

Also what is so special about this place that is should be open to rec fishing?
I'm not sure, but I guess people walking to the rock ledge to fish might do more damage than people on the beach itself because the rocks would be where the birds nest.

It sounds like one purpose of the parks to protect these areas in the most natural state possible to use them as reference points for other parts of the state so any removal of fish would run counter to that aim.

I still don't get the angst over the parks, a whopping 5% of the state is part of a marine park which isn't much given the number of other stakeholders who are in favour of seeing parts of the state receive protection.
Well lets hope they target coronet bay and any parts that you might fish and maybe you would change your mind. you don't get it or you refuse to listen, we went to the rallies and wrote to the Govt. of the time, there was never any mention of birds or dolphins or whatever else they tried to get us to believe, I told you it was about saving money on not employing more fisheries officers, the marine parks where just a way to save cash, at least when you were allowed to fish it the area was maintained but now it's a brothel, either you are trying to bait people or you are just plain stupid, WE WERE THERE at the time, so maybe worry about your own areas ans leave ours alone so we can fight the good fight

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:37 pm

From a parks vic publication here http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets ... 0_1038.pdf

(the copy and paste is weird from a pdf and a few things are missing.

S

Species and Communities of Conservation Significance

A large number of seabirds and shorebirds of conservation significance including terns (e.g. the fairy tern Sternula nereis, common tern Sterna hirundo, and the caspian tern Hydroprogne caspia), the hooded plover Thinornis rubricollis, albatrosses (e.g. wandering albatross Diomedea exulans, shy albatross Thalassarche cauta, yellow-nosed albatross Thalassarche chlororhynchos, black-browed albatross Thalassarche melanophris) and the fairy prion Pachyptila turtur have been found in or near the park.mammals of conservation significance sighted in the park include the blue whale Balaenoptera musculus, the southern right whale Eubalaena australis, the killer whale
Orcinus orca, and the Australian fur seal Arctocephalus pusillus doriferus. The water column also provides habitat for other transient species such as the pacific ridley turtle Lepidochelys olivacea.Within the park there are two red algal species Rhodymenia verrucosaand splachnoides
thought to be at their western distributional limit. There are also fourteen invertebrate and algal species found that are regionally uncommon
in the area, including the chiton Ischnochiton versicolor and the green algae Caulerpa cactoides

So the blue whale, southern right whale and killer wale all have a presence.

then on threats they say

Major Threats
Measures to address or minimise threats identified for this park form part of the park management plan. Rhodoliths in Point Addis Marine National Park.

Parks Victoria also uses an adaptive
management approach which includes
periodic reviews of priority natural
values and threats through processes
such as the State of the Parks
evaluation and setting of desired
conservation outcomes. Through
these processes Parks Victoria has
identified emerging threats and
developed appropriate
management responses.
Serious threats include marine pests
and diseases, illegal harvesting, litter
and debris, physical disturbance and
damage from people, vehicle or
animal trampling, increased coastal
development, oil pollution, and
terrestrial inputs of poor water quality.
The invasive Japanese kelp
Undaria pinnatifida
has recently been found
in Apollo Bay Harbour and there are
concerns about its possible spread
to the park.
Climate change poses a serious
medium to long term threat to
natural values. Parks Victoria will
use an adaptive management
approach to develop responses and
actions that focus on priority climate
change issues such as extreme
weather events and existing risks
that are likely to be exacerbated
by climate change
endquote

So this publication exists, and I understand my be contestable. Does anyone have any kind of science disproving any of this?

Saying the Vic gov 'chose spots at random' and 'used our favorite spots' is exactly the kind of short sighted idiocy that's going to wreck any kind of movement before it gets started.

Show me the god damned evidence.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:57 pm

As I said they are never going to reopen it to fishing, so we are just wasting our time, besides I don't see anywhere where my licence fees pay for any of this. I will just be concentrating on getting better boat ramp facilities and better fishing platforms for the landbased Angler

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:02 pm

Sometimes the evidence that you so forcible seek isn't available as you may like it because you are not taking into account people motives and agenda.
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Return to “Surf Fishing”