Gunnamatta donut 12-9-2015

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
nhillboy

Re: Gunnamatta donut 12-9-2015

Post by nhillboy » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:35 am

As it warms up through Oct, Nov the sambos should be around in good numbers and size..Can't wait..

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:53 am

The larger ones usually come through winter, which makes it worth while getting cold feet.
You'll still pick them up in summer, just smaller average size, 800g to 1.2kg instead of 1.5 to 2kg.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:02 pm

Brett wrote:The larger ones usually come through winter, which makes it worth while getting cold feet.
You'll still pick them up in summer, just smaller average size, 800g to 1.2kg instead of 1.5 to 2kg.
That's really funny you say that, I've found the opposite, less large fish in summer and more smaller (still not that small really) fish through winter. Hopefully carl will be able to weigh in.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:27 pm

I normally find December dynamite..but after the year we've had so far, I'm not holding my breath..

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:53 pm

CarlG wrote:I normally find December dynamite..but after the year we've had so far, I'm not holding my breath..
Maybe you have caught them all already! No idea where they have gone but hope they come back soon.
Cast, catch and put it back

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:26 pm

mazman wrote:
Brett wrote:The larger ones usually come through winter, which makes it worth while getting cold feet.
That's really funny you say that, I've found the opposite, less large fish in summer and more smaller (still not that small really) fish through winter. Hopefully carl will be able to weigh in.
It is going to vary yr to yr and the school that is there at the time caught plenty of 1.5 to 2 kg fish in summer.

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:33 pm

dezza68 wrote:
CarlG wrote:I normally find December dynamite..but after the year we've had so far, I'm not holding my breath..
Maybe you have caught them all already! No idea where they have gone but hope they come back soon.
No baitfish=no predators. I can only think that currents are not sending the plankton close enough inshore, leading to no small fish, which means no big fish..that, or the temprature doesn't suit some part of the food chain..

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:41 pm

CarlG wrote:
dezza68 wrote:
No baitfish=no predators. I can only think that currents are not sending the plankton close enough inshore, leading to no small fish, which means no big fish..that, or the temprature doesn't suit some part of the food chain..
All the bait is in Elliston SA :rofl:

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:56 pm

CarlG wrote:
dezza68 wrote:
Could be right about the current. Looks like a big El Nino forming and that normally interferes with the cold water currents. Could be a crappy few months ahead.
Cast, catch and put it back

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:47 am

poodoo wrote:
CarlG wrote:
dezza68 wrote:
All the bait is in Elliston SA :rofl:
Lol...no shortage of fish there mate...holy jebus...

Return to “Surf Fishing”