Surf Combo Recommendation

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
yzdood

Surf Combo Recommendation

Post by yzdood » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:06 pm

Hey guys,

Been reading a bit on here first but can't seem to find a thread that meets the criteria. I've been fishing for years but in that time done very little surf fishing, so i'm after some help.

I'm after a surf combo for a bit of bait soaking. Will be chasing bream, salmon and whiting. Ideally looking to spend around $150, but happy to go up to $200 for the right combo. I'm hoping for more of a lighter eggbeater combo around the 10ft mark.

Also, I've been doing a bit of research online but have been struggling to find rods matching this criteria at BCF and the likes, is there anywhere else I should be looking? Otherwise will just turn to the trusty Motackle.

Cheers :thumbsup:

GTSHoon

Re: Surf Combo Recommendation

Post by GTSHoon » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:40 pm

Bream and whiting dont often get caught in the Victorian surf (as in ive never even seen a report of it) but perhaps a 9' catana would do the job with a 4000 solstace or something similar?
That way you can soak light baits and use it to cast lures for salmon (a much more productive way to fish victorias ocean beaches unless you want to catch sharks)
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

yzdood

Post by yzdood » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:55 am

Cheers for the reply Cam.

I travel a bit interstate and will be taking the rod with me so that'll open me up to the other mentioned species. I'll look out for a catana as I got a cheap combo with one years ago and catch more on that than my trion/stradic combo :-D

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:18 am

I've got the Catana Nano 902 and 1062, both are really good for surf fishing and you can get them for under $100 each if there is a sale on. The 902 is a lot stiffer and can cast a decent weight, it is a nice rod for spinning for salmon but I've used mine for bait soaking too.

The 1062 is a lot whippier, works great for soaking bait with a small star sinker chasing smaller fish. Took me a while to 'get the hang' of this rod but I really like it now. Might go OK for casting <20g lures but I prefer it for bait. Great light surf rod. If I had to pick one I'd go with the 902 though, just because it is a bit more versatile and can cast heavier weights further.

As for reels, get something decent if you're spinning (it's out of your price range but I use a Daiwa Windcast) but I just use Penn Slammers for bait soaking because they're a tough and durable reel and I figure all you really need for bait is a fish winch.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

yzdood

Post by yzdood » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:49 am

4liters wrote:I've got the Catana Nano 902 and 1062, both are really good for surf fishing and you can get them for under $100 each if there is a sale on. The 902 is a lot stiffer and can cast a decent weight, it is a nice rod for spinning for salmon but I've used mine for bait soaking too.

The 1062 is a lot whippier, works great for soaking bait with a small star sinker chasing smaller fish. Took me a while to 'get the hang' of this rod but I really like it now. Might go OK for casting <20g lures but I prefer it for bait. Great light surf rod. If I had to pick one I'd go with the 902 though, just because it is a bit more versatile and can cast heavier weights further.

As for reels, get something decent if you're spinning (it's out of your price range but I use a Daiwa Windcast) but I just use Penn Slammers for bait soaking because they're a tough and durable reel and I figure all you really need for bait is a fish winch.
Thanks for the info mate.

I ended up picking up a shimano technium 4000 for a pretty good price. I've found it hard to track down the 1062 at the shops, so i've been looking at the 902 and the coastline light, although from what i've read the coastline won't handle as much weight.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:52 am

It is pretty light, and often you'll find you need to use a fairly heavy lead to hold bottom so I'd go the 902. Get the Nana XG (or whatever it is) instead of the regular Catana if you can though, much nicer rods.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

yzdood

Post by yzdood » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:57 am

4liters wrote:It is pretty light, and often you'll find you need to use a fairly heavy lead to hold bottom so I'd go the 902. Get the Nana XG (or whatever it is) instead of the regular Catana if you can though, much nicer rods.
Thanks mate will do

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:12 am

yzdood wrote:
4liters wrote:It is pretty light, and often you'll find you need to use a fairly heavy lead to hold bottom so I'd go the 902. Get the Nana XG (or whatever it is) instead of the regular Catana if you can though, much nicer rods.
Thanks mate will do
Get the nano xt, not the catana xg. I blew an xg up after 5 months. A few of the boys have the xt's..good rods.

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:15 pm

Honestly if you are going surf fishing that gear is too light and short. You need the extra length in the rod to keep the line out of the shore break as thats where most of the weed is. Great for spinning but limited to very calm conditions for bait fishing.
Cast, catch and put it back

yzdood

Post by yzdood » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:25 pm

dezza68 wrote:Honestly if you are going surf fishing that gear is too light and short. You need the extra length in the rod to keep the line out of the shore break as thats where most of the weed is. Great for spinning but limited to very calm conditions for bait fishing.
That did cross my mind. I've got a spare spool for my reel so I might just get 2 different rods (902 catana and slightly longer bait rod) and load up the 2 spools with different line and alternate the reel between the 2 rods.

Return to “Surf Fishing”