Fri 18th at night

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
alexdefig

Fri 18th at night

Post by alexdefig » Sat May 19, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi

Last night we had our first real crack at gummys in the surf. I arrived right on dusk and met my buddy down there who was already into the salmon, including one thumper that would've been nugging 2kg. I bagged a few before it got too dark, keeping 4 for bait. Once it got dark we sent out salmon fillets on big hooks, and within 10min we had one ugly looking critter in. I'm pretty sure they're draughtboard sharks?? Can someone please confirm this looking at the pic?? Not long after that we had another one in.

Everything went quiet for a bit and my mate decided to head home. Just before he left another rod bent over and we got a glimpse of a big ray before it busted me off about 10mts in front of us. I thought i'd stick it out for a couple more hours and sure enough the action fired up again. 2 more ugly critters, which didn't put up much of a fight unfortunately, then a rod bent over and after a good fight i had my first surf gummy. I was stoked, I'd been planning and watching the weather for weeks waiting for the right opportunity and it's awesome when plans pay off. After a quick photo i sent him on his way cos I don't know how to clean and fillet them, but i'll definately learn now. I went home at this point, I was pretty much knackered ... Woo Hoo gummy!!

Alex
Attachments
fri18-1.jpg
fri18-1.jpg (96.1 KiB) Viewed 720 times
fri18-4.jpg
fri18-4.jpg (83.18 KiB) Viewed 720 times
fri18-2.jpg
fri18-2.jpg (64.78 KiB) Viewed 720 times

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Fri 18th at night

Post by CarlG » Sat May 19, 2012 5:32 pm

Good work Alex..!
I keep telling myself to stay after dark and have a go at the gumbo`s, but I haven`t had the bottle to do it yet...I usually just have a blast with the salmon then head home...bloody wuss..
Carl..

isocandle

Post by isocandle » Sat May 19, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi Alex

Congrats on your catch mate. I find myself slightly envious, not only of your good catch, but also that you have friends also interested in fishing.

Keep it up buddy and keep posting those pics,
:water:
Isocandle

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sat May 19, 2012 8:00 pm

Yes it is a draughtboard shark.

Nice little gummy also, was this at Gunnamatta, or over west?

Longshot

Post by Longshot » Sat May 19, 2012 8:34 pm

Well Done mate :) Nice to see a plan come together!

alexdefig

Post by alexdefig » Sat May 19, 2012 8:59 pm

Brett wrote:Yes it is a draughtboard shark.

Nice little gummy also, was this at Gunnamatta, or over west?
Gday mate. Thanks! Yep, draughtboard shark. They were a pain in the ass, we landed 4 all up, and I'm tipping you constantly encounter them in the surf at night, along with rays.

Nup, it was east of Phillip Island. A long drive followed by a long walk, but well worth it.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sat May 19, 2012 9:13 pm

Ok, I think I know where it is lol

Draughtboard sharks are a pain in the winter months, they don't hang around, when the water warms up. Skates and rays are a common bycatch, to keep you on your toes

Andoki

Post by Andoki » Sun May 20, 2012 9:27 am

isocandle wrote:Hi Alex

Congrats on your catch mate. I find myself slightly envious, not only of your good catch, but also that you have friends also interested in fishing.

Keep it up buddy and keep posting those pics,
:water:
Isocandle
Yes Alex, this is a good crack for your gummys ... congratulations
I also agree with Isocandle on enving you that you have friends that you fish together.
Well done mate and keep it up

I also have had a very nice fishing day on Sat as Salmon was on fire, one after another good sizes like the ones on your picture.

Cheers

Return to “Surf Fishing”