the pond

Re: rye back beach

Post by the pond » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:13 pm

yeah true cheers Lost Pom

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:39 am

Blue bait on the bottom blue surf popper on the top for sambos. If I were going i'd go an hour either side of sunset for salmon, and cast metal slugs while I wait. After it gets dark trade the spinners for a heavy bait, running sinker, gummy rig. Fresh Salmon is supposed to be a great bait.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

the pond

Post by the pond » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:37 pm

cheers DougieK will probably hit the pier during the day for some fresh bait (salmon,squid) and head down at sunset and fish into the night

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:11 pm

massive bump here. Not done much surf fishing and will be down at rye for 2 weeks from goodfriday.

ive got 1 old school heavy surf rod and a rod called a rhino skin surf and rock rod from my old man. Don't wanna buy new stuff as I don't fish like this normally. Ive got all the hooks and sinkers and will be using mono. I have anywhere between 12pd to 30 pd as mainline and up to 50 pd leader. I
would love to catch any fish off the shore, am prepared to have a big rod out sitting there for something bigger than the usual.
I have pilchards, squid pippies and mussels in my freezer.

any help or tips would be appreciated.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:49 pm

Not much to it. Look for gutters and holes, and cast into them (unless the moon is out to sea in which case you'll want it behind you so cast into the carpark). You'll probably get salmon on any of those baits, then turn your sambo into gummy bait.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

crumpet_avenger

Post by crumpet_avenger » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:48 pm

4liters wrote:Not much to it. Look for gutters and holes, and cast into them (unless the moon is out to sea in which case you'll want it behind you so cast into the carpark). You'll probably get salmon on any of those baits, then turn your sambo into gummy bait.
Thats a good start. An hour or 2 before high tide?
Basically just fishen the surf to get away from the mrs and kids. Got time to kill....
Might have a look at gunnamatta as well.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:28 pm

How did you go

Hectic habbib

Post by Hectic habbib » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:26 pm

you do get squid off rye but its nothing to big, when going for squid i always stay under the size 2.5 but sometimes maybe a 3.0 max. go on tide change around 4 in the arvo. at rye as your walking down have a couple of cast as i have found a school doing that. and just before the little pier thing on the right just before that cast to the right and there is a good chance that there is squid there. also the boat ramp pier at night does get squid. not a lot but you should get a couple, go there at dark, go to the end and spend about 10 minutes there if nothing there go home. also you can get gar fish off there

Return to “Surf Fishing”