First time @ Gunnamatta - donuts

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: First time @ Gunnamatta - donuts

Post by Lightningx » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:09 am

GONE FISHING wrote:I have fished 13 beach once, was terrible conditions. Blowing a gale, couldn't cast into the wind, and just generally very sloppy. But it is one of the beaches I'd like to fish more regularly due to it being probably the closest surf beach from home (a tad over an hour).

Seriously there is just something so soothing for the soul when it comes to surf fishing. I think it's just looking out into the endless stretch of water, sitting a spot away from it all, with just the sounds of the water for peace. Especially in summer when you have a cracking warm day, it makes the experience just that much more amazing. It's something so simple when you think about it.

Having a kayak, I have almost forgotten this feeling, and on Sunday I was reminded why I fell in love with fishing again :)
Yea I also know that feeling well. Reminds me of when I was at Johannas beach. No one there except me and my gf :) can forget about all the everyday stresses. I returned feeling completely relaxed and unwound :)

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:23 am

GONE FISHING wrote:I have fished 13 beach once, was terrible conditions. Blowing a gale, couldn't cast into the wind, and just generally very sloppy. But it is one of the beaches I'd like to fish more regularly due to it being probably the closest surf beach from home (a tad over an hour).

Seriously there is just something so soothing for the soul when it comes to surf fishing. I think it's just looking out into the endless stretch of water, sitting a spot away from it all, with just the sounds of the water for peace. Especially in summer when you have a cracking warm day, it makes the experience just that much more amazing. It's something so simple when you think about it.

Having a kayak, I have almost forgotten this feeling, and on Sunday I was reminded why I fell in love with fishing again :)
Know what ya mean it's Almost like fishing and meditating at the same time haha I only surf fish on northerly or very light southernlys

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:31 pm

I've been waiting ages for an evening with a northerly and a rising tide so I can fish 13th beach. We seem to keep getting southerly sea breezes in the afternoon/evening though.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

bigdan91

Post by bigdan91 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:18 pm

DougieK wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
The Gunnamatta trudge
viewtopic.php?f=169&t=13576

The Gunnamatta Myth
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=13122

....... name a more consistent surf beach within 2 hours drive of Melbourne. There isn't one. Ads caught a PB VIC salmon along with 50 others in a session last week. Ducky cleaned up there this morning, Keith got a heap this afternoon and Carl got half a dozen fish about 4 hours ago.

GF the most productive time to fish is 'usually' from utter first light until the sun hits the water. 7 is about mid session at the moment. The further you walk the less surfers and other fisho's and idiots asking you 'did you catch those fish' you'll get.
Might have to start keeping an eye on willyweather! Haven't been down for a spin sesh yet this year. Bought Ash a new rod for her birthday too but couldn't find any salmon at lakes entrance over australia day.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:32 pm

Do you find willyweather to be reliable? I use it also myself and checked the wind speed for a fishing session the other day. Said the wind was supposed to go down but even though we waited the wind stayed steady and much stronger than what it said it would be...

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:41 pm

Willy weather is inaccurate use baywinds for live readings. But your best friend is the surf cam by trigger brothers for gunners.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:43 pm

poodoo wrote:Willy weather is inaccurate use baywinds for live readings. But your best friend is the surf cam by trigger brothers for gunners.
Cheers! :thumbsup:

bigdan91

Post by bigdan91 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:34 pm

Lightningx wrote:Do you find willyweather to be reliable? I use it also myself and checked the wind speed for a fishing session the other day. Said the wind was supposed to go down but even though we waited the wind stayed steady and much stronger than what it said it would be...
I live in balnarring so can get a reasonable idea by sticking my head out the window

I also do use the gunna beach surf cam

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:28 pm

Doesn't look like any northerlies coming in the next few days.
Cast, catch and put it back

GONE FISHING

Post by GONE FISHING » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:47 pm

Yeah I saw that.. Seriously spewing. And the tides are pretty ordinary times too... Maybe week after.... Gutted

Return to “Surf Fishing”