Eating Yakkas

How to prepare and cook your catch.
Drifta-X

Re: Eating Yakkas

Post by Drifta-X » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:46 pm

That coota u sit cheater was pretty nice.
If u recon yakka is better, I won't argue.

andyk

Post by andyk » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:54 am

We were cooking some flattys one day on the boat and caught a few yacckers so fillited them and straight in the pan , not bad at all they do have that same dark strip of flesh like salmon down the side but was nothing wrong with them at all.

baff2008

Post by baff2008 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:38 am

Hi,

fished western port a little while ago and we caught a couple around the half a kilo each. one of the blokes that was staying with us had one of those small fish smokers and smoked them for us. il be honest with ya they were actually quite nice. bit boney but because of the size of the fish they were easy to find and remove.

kenenjee

Post by kenenjee » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:13 pm

I'm of asian descent, and yeah like poodoo says we eat them a fair bit. In essence we like them becos of the firm flesh texture. When it is cooked pan fried its flesh texture shld be somewhat 'dry' and not overly moist to the point of it being 'mushy'. When it is cooked this way the bones in them don't pose too much of a problem.
Most of the yakkas we eat are plainly pan-fried in abt 1cm of oil. I personally believe that the sauce that goes with it makes a whole lot of difference - most of asian/chinese food count on the sauces being something that'll make a particular meat/vege taste great.
A recipe that my family n I particularly like is to have yakkas wholly pan fried medium flame (until the skin is somewhat cripsy, shld take abt 15 min or so). On a separate pan we'd fry up some chopped garlic (a whole tablespoonful if you fancy) till it is cripsy (not burnt tho) onto which we add abt a quarter of a cup of soy sauce, let it simmer for about 3-4 mins. Have this "sauce" poured over the yakkas.
Hope this adds a different flavour to your post here. cheers.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:33 pm

Scraglor wrote:Yeah I know right, Im pretty doubtful, but punch it into google and you will see that ppl are eating them, no way am I bothering with a tiny bony fish tho. Anyways, I will post the results if I ever get around to it I guess :P

tiny ones, lol we scored 30 over 40 cm the other week

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:31 am

So, the last few weeks I have managed to get onto a heap of yakkas, the trouble is that its been hard to bring myself to try them when I have heaps of standard "table fish" to get through as well. So its time to bite the bullet (or yakka I guess) and see how they go.

I have put aside one of the bigger ones from this morning, and am planning to give it a try as both sashimi and i'll flour a piece and fry it up. Wish me luck, if you dont hear from me, I am probably dead.
Attachments
20150109_120735.jpg

Larksy88

Post by Larksy88 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:44 am

Best of luck! for your sake i hope they taste good!

Matt

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:04 pm

Haha, thanks mate. So I never ended up tasting them fried.....

But.....

They are a cracker sashimi fish. If you like sashimi, dont throw out your yakkas, they are awesome.

I have a few fillets ready to go now :) A little soy and wasabi, winning.
Attachments
20150109_201223.jpg

nickb123

Post by nickb123 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:16 am

i tried yakkas and slimeys both smoked and i found them to be terrible..... lol rather use them for fresh bait, each to their own though, that sashimi looks good though
Cheers Nick

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:23 am

nickb123 wrote:i tried yakkas and slimeys both smoked and i found them to be terrible..... lol rather use them for fresh bait, each to their own though, that sashimi looks good though
Yeah, I still dont think I will bother keeping them for anything other than bait haha.

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”