Eating Yakkas

How to prepare and cook your catch.
Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Eating Yakkas

Post by Scraglor » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:11 pm

So, I was poking about the internet looking for tips on catching yakkas, as would like to start sourcing my own bait, and found quite a few articles by chefs stating the eating quality of Yakkas.

My question is, have any of you tried them personally? And if so, what recipes would you reccomend? I will try anything once, so Will be giving them a crack when I manage to get on to some. They are meant to make decent Sashimi also, and I am a massive sashimi fan, so i might start with just some soy + wasabi.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Eating Yakkas

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:40 pm

Yakkas? which one, the hat, pants, shorts, shirt, shoes?

The fish is very average eating. There are better ones out there.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:00 pm

Yellowtail Scad lol. Yeah, I figured it was just a bait fish, but there are quite a few ppl around saying it is pretty good if cooked well. Just curious

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:19 pm

good gummy bait
caught a 72cm elephant shark on it today lol

flathead is probably better then yacka fillets

slinga

Post by slinga » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:23 pm

They were popular to eat 20-30yrs ago I'm led to believe, not so much these days though.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:26 pm

Yakkas...?
I've filleted a couple for my two dogs, (boxers), and they were bony as. Hard to see how you'd get much edible flesh off them tbh..
Ps. The dogs absolutely love salmon...they go mental when I bring a few in..

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:27 pm

they eat them a fair bit in Asia. I reckon because they are so oily smoking them should be ok, otherwise fish cakes, curry etc anything with lots of spices would work.

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:29 pm

Yeah I know right, Im pretty doubtful, but punch it into google and you will see that ppl are eating them, no way am I bothering with a tiny bony fish tho. Anyways, I will post the results if I ever get around to it I guess :P

matthead

Post by matthead » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:38 pm

One thing iv'e learned over the years is you've gotta decide yourself, don't listen to other peoples taste buds. Hav'nt had em myself but they look nice.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:42 pm

Scraglor wrote:My question is, have any of you tried them personally? And if so, what recipes would you reccomend? I will try anything once,
I have some pickled yakka atm and use the same method for other bait species like aust salmon and silver trevs
all work realy well

http://fishing-victoria.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5383" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they can be a little fiddly filleting and skining but if you leave any bone the vinagar softens them right up

I have tried couta and mullet as well but they dont work near as well as Salmon , trevs or Yakka/Cowenyoung

served up on some dry crackers with some of the pickled onions and maybe some good tasty cheese is pretty good
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”