pickled Salmon

How to prepare and cook your catch.
rixter

Re: pickled Salmon

Post by rixter » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:50 pm

You can use an ordinary bbq with a lid/hood to smoke fish/meat also !.
Stringy Bark (yellow box firewood) is awesome to smoke fish with !. Just use the stringy bark outer layer , moisten it with a few sprays of water so it smokes away , place it at the bottom of the bbq, keeping it hot and to the point of it nearly catching on fire , but then spray it every half hour or so with some water to keep it smoking............mmm , yum !
3 to 4 hrs smoked is plenty, a leg of lamb also comes out a treat smoked this way :cook2:
Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:51 pm

blacklab99 wrote:buy a small smoker
and smoke the thing
no better tasting smoked fish.....................
I tried this tonight with some Aussie Salmon fillets I caught on Friday Night.

Pleasantly surprised! The smoky flavour of the salmon is sensational.

Will definitely be keeping Aussie Salmon for eating now rather than for bait/cat food.

Thanks for the tip!

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:57 pm

welcome to the dark side :-D

with those little smokers you can buy, which have 2 little meths burners, it takes about 20-25 minutes
its real important to bleed the kawai ( Australian salmon ) first, tastes much better

I gut them take the head off so it fits in the little smokers, cut the fish down the belly line and open it up to two halfs
obviously leave the skin on

I like using tee tree saw shavings or dust, don't scrimp on this, the trick is to sprinkle a little sea salt and believe it or not, sprinkle some brown sugar over fillets, just a fine sprinkling.
as I said I go minimum 20 minutes, preferably 30 min in those little smokers. you can buy them on line on ebay for around $ 60 but make sure theres two burners with it, its all about heat and intensity, one doesn't cut it.
I made my one myself, but have one of those ebayer's, yet to fire it up. but they really do smoke up beautifully, they don't have so many lttle bones, are even better if you smoke them and have them the next day, but I tuck in as soon as there cool enough.
smoking Australian salmon ( or kawai in n.z ) benn doing it all my life, couldn't believe they were only used for bait here.
ive converted so many people here at home, I don't tell them what it is, and they are blown away after they try it.........

colin

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”