Bluegroper

Re: Food Vacuum Sealer

Post by Bluegroper » Mon May 20, 2013 10:40 am

Bangg Bangg :shutup: :lol:

Geoff

benjic1000

Post by benjic1000 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:52 am

I have found the cheapest vaccuuummmmmm sealer around.

From the book "The complete guide to game fishing" Glen Booth & Alistair McGlashan.

"Should you not wish to go to the expense of buying a cryovacing machine, the following technique is almost as good and relatively easy to do"... blah blah blah.

One bucket full of water. Zip-lock bags.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon May 20, 2013 11:18 am

That's a genius idea benjic. I've got that book at home. Never did finish reading it. Need to start again

Rogue_Hunter

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Mon May 20, 2013 11:22 am

I heard of this tip awhile but never got around hauling a bucket full of saltwater back home.
Now that i have a bucket with a lid, i will give it a try. Dont want to stick saltwater fish into a bag full of fresh water

melaco

Post by melaco » Mon May 20, 2013 11:35 am

Rogue_Hunter wrote:I heard of this tip awhile but never got around hauling a bucket full of saltwater back home.
Now that i have a bucket with a lid, i will give it a try. Dont want to stick saltwater fish into a bag full of fresh water

You don't actually need saltwater as the fish never get any saltwater onto it. What you do is out the fish into the sealable bag, dip it into the bucket of water, and then just before the water level reaches the sealing line you lock the air out. What toull be doing is pressuring the air out of the bag with the water. It's not as sealed as a vacuum sealer bit it's good enough :a_goodjob:

Rogue_Hunter

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Mon May 20, 2013 11:40 am

melaco wrote:
Rogue_Hunter wrote:I heard of this tip awhile but never got around hauling a bucket full of saltwater back home.

You don't actually need saltwater as the fish never get any saltwater onto it. What you do is out the fish into the sealable bag, dip it into the bucket of water, and then just before the water level reaches the sealing line you lock the air out. What toull be doing is pressuring the air out of the bag with the water. It's not as sealed as a vacuum sealer bit it's good enough :a_goodjob:
Oh ok. I assumed the fillets would absorb the freshwater and dilute the "salty" taste of the flesh.

Thanks for the clarrification.

benjic1000

Post by benjic1000 » Tue May 21, 2013 3:21 pm

Rogue hunter i deliberately left out the instructions for the bucket and bags see if someone couldn't put it together LOL.
What were you planning on doing??? :clap:

Bluegroper

Post by Bluegroper » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:23 am

Finally got the courage to work this space craft out. After the first 20 minutes of looking for an on and off switch on the device and instructions not saying anything. I just applied some downward pressure to the lid and brrrrrrr, brrrrr thing starting working lights came on for the first time. :doh1: Did 16 pinkie fillets & 8 bream fillets (from a few LB sessions over the last two weeks)that were already frozen. Pretty easy to work out didn't overheat. 20cm wide roll was easily wide enough to cope with pinkie fillets. Will hopefully give it a flogging in Eden this weekend. :dinner:

Geoff

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:48 pm

Been using a Maxkon for years,bought off the net for third of the price of the big brand names and works like a charm. Has a built in cutter to convert rolls to bags.Wouldn't be without it and you can do all sorts of meat cuts or say peeled Prawns if you want to purchase extra when a bargain comes along. The zip bag and water is probly good but would add to bulk in the freezer I imagine.
Eliminates freezer burn and have kept stuff for over 12 months. You can keep fillets for few weeks without freezing, in the fridge, as well.
To eliminate moisture suction into the seal area,roll a thin sausage of paper towell and lay it across the top between product and the seal, as air is sucked out the moisture is absorbed into the paper.
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

mattyc

Post by mattyc » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Hey guys,
I own a online packaging store and can recommend a few things when vacuuming fillets, bait etc.
Make sure you can get a machine with a good warranty. As soon as you suck up liquid into the pump she will start to have problems.
Second, good bags will give you good vacuum! they will also stop freezer burn ( a ziplock bag will not).
Should be able to pick up a machine that will do the job for pretty cheap as long as you look after it!

Cheers
Whats better than a days fishing?....two days fishing!

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”