Food Vacuum Sealer

How to prepare and cook your catch.
Bluegroper

Food Vacuum Sealer

Post by Bluegroper » Mon May 20, 2013 12:16 am

Hey guys/gals,

Ordered one of these recently specifically to vacuum seal fish fillets. I should hopefully get it in the next few days. Does anyone have a machine/unit? I know that there are quite a few brands but more wanting to get your feedback to see if they are welcome addition in your home?

Geoff

rixter

Re: Food Vacuum Sealer

Post by rixter » Mon May 20, 2013 12:35 am

Last edited by rixter on Wed May 29, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon May 20, 2013 12:46 am

I use ours on fish all the time, have some flake in the freezer, that's 12mnths old and some that's 6mnths old and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference to fresh stuff.

Rogue_Hunter

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Mon May 20, 2013 8:45 am

Bluegroper wrote:Hey guys/gals,

Ordered one of these recently specifically to vacuum seal fish fillets. I should hopefully get it in the next few days. Does anyone have a machine/unit? I know that there are quite a few brands but more wanting to get your feedback to see if they are welcome addition in your home?

Geoff
I was thinking about getting one. Saw one at Aldi the other day. Are the bags\sheets readily available?

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon May 20, 2013 9:37 am

Walked into Aussie disposals a few months back to buy some stuff. Saw they had a single one of these on the throw out bin for $5. So I asked if they had more out back. Took home 15 packs. Lol. Got me sorted for vac seal stuff for a while.

http://fishingfever.com.au/index.php?ro ... duct_id=68" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bluegroper

Post by Bluegroper » Mon May 20, 2013 9:48 am

Brett wrote:I use ours on fish all the time, have some flake in the freezer, that's 12mnths old and some that's 6mnths old and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference to fresh stuff.
Awesome that's great to here. :P Most of the units I was looking had some negative responses and looked like they had moisture issues and were designed purely for dryer foods. These units had 1yr warranty. Sunbeam was one of the brands that I looked at. I didn't like the reviews regarding technical help. Who knows whether these issues may have been small or on a grander scale.

But this led me to looking harder and I found this onehttp://foodvacuumsealers.com.au/unika-by-munro/
I liked the fact that they primarily do commercial ones as this "may" prove them more durable but the 5yr warranty was big factor. Before going ahead I had a good chat on the phone last week with a guy that was selling them at the Sydney Boat Show. Explained that there units motorized parts were sealed and that moisture fell into a removable drip tray.

Will let you know how the unit goes.

Geoff

Brett

Post by Brett » Mon May 20, 2013 9:58 am

The main issue, with "wet" food items, is that the bags don't seal properly. I've had a few do this to me and it's a pain.
There are ways around it, such as semi freezing before sealing etc.
I try to pat the meat dry with a paper towel as much as I can, if that doesn't work, I'll occassionally semi freeze the meat/fish before I try again.

Brett

Post by Brett » Mon May 20, 2013 10:03 am

Rogue_Hunter wrote:
Bluegroper wrote:Hey guys/gals,

Geoff
I was thinking about getting one. Saw one at Aldi the other day. Are the bags\sheets readily available?

Bags are readily available online and at a lot of retail stores, we used to get the sunbeam bags from Retravision. How ever I am lead to believe all the bags are pretty much the same and will work in any brand machine.
Oh and you're better off getting the rolls, so you can cut the bags to your desired size, rather than pre cut bags.

Other advice, would be to get the larger machine, we got the smallest one(end of line Sunbeam @ Kmart for $30, inistead of $200) I really wish we had a larger one now, that we've got one and use it.

Bluegroper

Post by Bluegroper » Mon May 20, 2013 10:17 am

Brett wrote:The main issue, with "wet" food items, is that the bags don't seal properly. I've had a few do this to me and it's a pain.
I try to pat the meat dry with a paper towel as much as I can, if that doesn't work, I'll occassionally semi freeze the meat/fish before I try again.
:thumbsup: That makes sense thanks for the heads up. Doing a 5-6 day trip to Eden soon and was hoping that this unit would be handy addition to store my fish longer in an ice packed esky.

I bartered with the guy as i purchased the containers and he threw in a pack of two rolls for each size (30cm and 20cm wide I think). He said a similar thing Brett that the rolls work out much more cost efficient than the bags over a year or more.

Geoff

Rogue_Hunter

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Mon May 20, 2013 10:26 am

Bluegroper wrote:
Brett wrote:The main issue, with "wet" food items, is that the bags don't seal properly. I've had a few do this to me and it's a pain.
:thumbsup: That makes sense thanks for the heads up. Doing a 5-6 day trip to Eden soon and was hoping that this unit would be handy addition to store my fish longer in an ice packed esky.

I bartered with the guy as i purchased the containers and he threw in a pack of two rolls for each size (30cm and 20cm wide I think). He said a similar thing Brett that the rolls work out much more cost efficient than the bags over a year or more.

Geoff
BlueGroper,

You know you just done now yeh? You have nominated yourself to organise a group buy!! :D

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”