Cooking Redfin

How to prepare and cook your catch.
Tp_18

Cooking Redfin

Post by Tp_18 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:54 pm

What is the best way to cook red fin.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

rixter

Re: Cooking Redfin

Post by rixter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:57 pm

Throw them in a metal bin , add fuel and burn them !. JOKIN ! ..I don't find them too tasty , alot of people do though. Like my missus , she loves bream and redfin , cooks them the same way , too fishy for me , even without the skin. I prefer salt water fish to eat. My missus cooks them the same as bream. Check out some Perch recipies , same fish. cheers.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Tp_18

Post by Tp_18 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:02 pm

Thanks mate never had red fin before but I have been catching them and chucking them back.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

jedgpz

Post by jedgpz » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:11 pm

They taste great,
I fillet and skin them I find that they are tough to scale so prefer to skin them
Seasoned flour and shallow fried. or in bread crumbs
Cheers
Jed

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:22 pm

jedgpz wrote:They taste great,
I fillet and skin them I find that they are tough to scale so prefer to skin them
Cheers
Jed
Would tend to agree. If not in bread crumbs, substitute bread crumbs with crushed Salt & Vinegar chips! The best thing about eating redfin is they are plentiful so if you are after a feed of fish, better taking them or stocked trout than natives. On saying that I let most of the reddies go because I just can't be bothered preparing them as well as catching a decent size one.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Linc

Post by Linc » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:35 am

Yep definitely fillet and skin and then throw in a pan with flour, I also use butter in the pan instead of oil- that helps to get rid of any of that freshwater fish taste that the salty fishos are not used to. of all the freshwater fish available in Vic I'd have to say Redfin is my favourite to eat by far.

Tp_18

Post by Tp_18 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:37 am

Thanks going out fishing Friday ill see what I catch.

Time Poor

Post by Time Poor » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:55 am

Gut them, sweet chilli sauce and lemon in cavity, wrap in foil, bung in oven or BBQ until eyes go white, cooking time is about 20-25 mins @ 180'ish in oven. Skin falls off and flesh falls off bones. I use this method for all f/w fish, just change seasoning to your preference.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer.

Steff

Post by Steff » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:22 am

^^ thats the same way i cook snapper. Da besht!
So i went fishing on her birthday, .. Hey! She'll have another one!

eslop

Post by eslop » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:35 am

Rod Bender wrote:
jedgpz wrote:They taste great,
Cheers
Jed
Would tend to agree. If not in bread crumbs, substitute bread crumbs with crushed Salt & Vinegar chips! The best thing about eating redfin is they are plentiful so if you are after a feed of fish, better taking them or stocked trout than natives. On saying that I let most of the reddies go because I just can't be bothered preparing them as well as catching a decent size one.
thanks
Jim
Salt and Vinegar chip thing sounds awesome. Going out to the basin this evening, hopefully get to give it a go!!
Cheers, Scott.

pb's
Murray Cod: 92 on spinnerbait, 81 on surface lure, 74 on bait
Golden Perch: 49 on TN60
Redfin: 41 on TN60
Brown Trout: 68 on SP
Rainbow: maybe 10
Mudmarlin: 78

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”