cleaning/skinning a gummy.

How to prepare and cook your catch.
raco09
Has liked: 3 times

cleaning/skinning a gummy.

Post by raco09 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:06 pm

Hi all. Last night i caught a gummy whilst out in wpb on my mates boat. I did all the usual things. Cut its head to let it bleed dunked it in the water afew times then put it in ice. When we got back to the ramp i took its head off, gutted it, took the fins off and back in the esky. Today i wanted to skin it and fillet but struggled to skin it. Everything else was easy. Are there any decent "how to" videos on skinning gummies apart from the guy on you tube that doesnt bleed his fish? Anyone have any footage of themselves skinning a gumbo and wants to share? Cheers. :D
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: cleaning/skinning a gummy.

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:30 pm

raco09 wrote:Hi all. Last night i caught a gummy whilst out in wpb on my mates boat. I did all the usual things. Cut its head to let it bleed dunked it in the water afew times then put it in ice. When we got back to the ramp i took its head off, gutted it, took the fins off and back in the esky. Today i wanted to skin it and fillet but struggled to skin it. Everything else was easy. Are there any decent "how to" videos on skinning gummies apart from the guy on you tube that doesnt bleed his fish? Anyone have any footage of themselves skinning a gumbo and wants to share? Cheers. :D

[youtube]Qod7hnwz2zY[/youtube]

the only differences I do to this is because I gut my gummys on the water I get 2 belly stips instead of 1 belly flat
and another thing is I cut from the anal vent to the tail down to the spine before skinning the skin come off better around the anal area better

by the way to blead them cut there throat not the back of the head

hope that is some help for next time
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

raco09

Post by raco09 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:49 pm

Thanks for that cheater. Will try my best next time. :D. Also, I've read that the guts from the gummy shouldn't touch the flesh. Why is that?

MattypVic

Post by MattypVic » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:32 am

Well done. You finally got one must be pretty happy with that

raco09

Post by raco09 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:20 am

MattypVic wrote:Well done. You finally got one must be pretty happy with that
Cheers mate. Yeah I was pretty happy. Although I'm still keen on catching one landbased. :D

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:27 am

raco09 wrote:Thanks for that cheater. Will try my best next time. :D. Also, I've read that the guts from the gummy shouldn't touch the flesh. Why is that?
dont know , I hadn;t heard that one but I alway gut my keepers asap after catching them and bleeding them then give the blood lines a wash out that are between the gut and spine

then if you can put the gummy on ice - thats something I cant do as I fish from a kayak and I have nothing big enouth to fit a gummy in
I have to make do with a wet towel over them ,so I only keep gummies caught late in a trip - Lucky we catch quite a few and 6 or more in a sesson is not out of the question
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:18 am

cheaterparts wrote: [youtube]Qod7hnwz2zY[/youtube]
people actually fillet gummies like that? it just seems like such a timewasting and awkward way of going about it

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:27 am

scott__henning wrote: people actually fillet gummies like that? it just seems like such a timewasting and awkward way of going about it
its not that slow to do after you do a couple
My kayak PBs

Cheater

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:36 pm

I agree Scott, and I much prefer to bleed and gut my fish on sight, rather than hrs later

Mishachief

Post by Mishachief » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:17 am

I believe if you don't bleed, and gut the gummy's asap... there is a build up of ammonia(toxins building after death in the gut etc) that makes it taste a bit crook.

same reason you get dead fish out of a fish tank asap.

ive always bleed and gutted on the spot, then put on ice
♥♥♥ Life's a Beach, So Go Fishing! ♥♥♥

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”