X2 on beer batter...but must admit used coconut milk once and it was awsome
FISH1617 : 183CM

Salt (38cm) Trevely 38cm snapper 65cm gummy 80cm
Fresh (0cm) 

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Re: King George in beer batter

Post by Trumpeter » Mon May 09, 2016 11:15 pm

Scraglor wrote:Haha, you and I do very similar things with our whiting. I gut/gill/scale my whiting, then vac seal them up. Come out like they are fresh. I bet your mum is rapt!

I have a very similar recipe to yours also, it tastes fantastic. as a rule I work on 1:1 parts self raising flour and beer. I usually go a cup of each, then a cup of ice cubes in there. You want the batter whisked up to be quite airy just before you drop the fish in it and in the oil, and you want it as cold as possible. I have also found the dryer beers make crispier, lighter batter. Asahi makes a good one.

A great way to test if your oil is hot enough is to drop a cube of bread into it, it will turn brown in about 10 seconds. Less and it isnt hot enough, more and it might be a little hot.

Beer battered whiting is one of my favourite meals, I have cooked it for a few close mates who thought they didnt like fish, and they are now hassling me to go out fishing.
Vac sealing would be cool, I like to wrap 4 fish together in a large freezer bag, squeezing the air out as I roll them up. Works pretty well and it is amazing how fresh the fish still taste, like they were swimming that morning. The dry type beer sounds good but I prefer drinking the more meaty varieties, this recipe actually requires one stubby for the batter and the other five for the chef!
:cheers:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: King George in beer batter

Post by Lightningx » Tue May 10, 2016 7:27 am

I love my vacuum sealing machine! Great for when you catch a large haul of fish.
I have been using mine for a few years now and the fish come out fresh every time. Very useful machine :)

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”