Sat 10th

alexdefig

Sat 10th

Post by alexdefig » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:24 pm

Howdy, managed to get out amongst it all day today for some land based shenanigans, and i had a great time! :thumbsup:

Started out off the rocks at 6 30am chasing whiting & snapper. I was armed with everything from chicken breast strips, to squid and blue bait, to soft plastics and 'gulp' artificial baits. I managed 1 small flatty, 2 pinkies (1 just under 28cm, 1 just over ... both were released), 1 whiting @ 38cm (personal best!) ... and one monster toadie, possibly Australian record?? ... I dunno why, but for some reason i missed about half of all possible hook ups?? I changed hook size, stopped striking, tried striking quicker, everything. but i couldn't seem to consistently hook up. makes me think there were lots of shy whiting around ... It was the low tide change and SW wind about 10 knots.

Next stop was the surf for the 2nd half of flood tide. After trying to avoid the crowds, and trying a few different gutters & rips with moderate success, i ended up miles down the beach from where I started in front of a nice gutter which looked very fishy. The next hour was chaos. A combination of bait, 60gram jigs and poppers saw about 10 salmon landed with 5 kept to 750grams, 5 released and a couple lost ... I was slowed down a bit by first being smashed by a surprise wave from which i ended up ditching my jeans in favour of boxer shorts, then by some serious weed ... One pleasant surprise was a double hook up on one bait, which I'd never encounted (2 hook snelled rig). Also hooked one ambitious little fish who hit a jig the same size as himself.

Cheers! Alex
Attachments
sat10th 5.JPG
sat10th 5.JPG (95.01 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
sat10th 2.JPG
sat10th 2.JPG (118.89 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
sat10th 1.JPG
A good days work
sat10th 1.JPG (173.07 KiB) Viewed 1025 times

Tal-Ponc

Re: Sat 10th

Post by Tal-Ponc » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:53 pm

Sounds like you had a great day mate. Some really nice fish in your photo's there.... :thumbsup:
Good things come to those who Bait...

Lost Pom

Re: Sat 10th

Post by Lost Pom » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:26 am

Some good looking fish there :clap:

Did you eat the salmon or are they bigger fish baits?

Cant quite work out where those rocks are?! Near Ventnor P.I by any chance?

Hoping to finally get some fishing in myself this week after two weekend family trips to Adelaide!

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”